What is normal trany temp?

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
I have a trany temp gauge, placed where recommeded. E4OD Trany
What is the normal temp reading normal driving, NOT Towing, I see a temp of 150 driving in in the morning and have seen 195 driving home. Other then a few degrees hotter in the afternoon why would there be that large of difference. :dunno When towing what should I expect? :dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
As I recall anything under 240° F will be alright. Another rule of thumb is outside air + 100° F is OK.

Dave

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
100° over ambient is a pretty good guideline. And surprisingly enough, it wont vary that much while towing. Do you have the stock transmission cooler still or have you upgraded to an aftermarket cooler?

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
Still stock trany cooler, I am slowly getting the truck where it should be, but that is on the list, Any suggestions on an aftermarket cooler?

Thanks for the information on the temp.

:cowboy:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I use a Tru-Cool 4590 LPD stacked plate cooler rated at 28,000 gvw. There is a larger Tru-cool.... I think the model # on that is 4739 Max. Try to stay away from the tube and fin style coolers as they arent as efficient as the stacked plate coolers. If you look in MY PICS link in my sig you can see a pictorial on the cooler install. It is super easy and quick to do.

ytee

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a BTS and empty I usually run about 150-175. When towing I usually run about 200 unless in stop and go traffic and then might creep up to 220. When towing I have a 30' Arctic Fox camper that weighs around 10,000lbs. I also have an external cooler that probably helps a little.

Chris

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
KansasDiesel said:
Still stock trany cooler, I am slowly getting the truck where it should be, but that is on the list, Any suggestions on an aftermarket cooler?

Thanks for the information on the temp.

:cowboy:

Ditto to what 95_stroker said about the Tru Cool 4590. :thumbs

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time i get the chance, i will be adding a stock 6oh tranny cooler. They are huge and from what i hear work well. You can pickem up off ebay pretty cheap too.

luke

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14