What speed are you towing at?

dmftoy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got back from 2200 miles in 8 days and while I like to tow around 59mph it seems like it's much easier on the truck to run about 64mph. At 59 I have it shifting in/out of OD (unless I turn the OD off), and it seems like my EGT's get much higher on a hill. At 64mph it never leaves OD (even in the hills of Virginia) and the the EGT's stay in a nice sweet spot. (just curious what you're all seeing?)

(9500lbs GVW for the trailer, W/D Hitch)

Have a good one,
Dave

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Dave,when we tow the Excursion seems to be comfortable between 55-65 depending on load,grade,head/crosswinds.

Bill

dmftoy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Dave,when we tow the Excursion seems to be comfortable between 55-65 depending on load,grade,head/crosswinds.

Bill

I think the only way I could tow at 55 would be if I had OD locked out. Otherwise I'd be running up near the Rev Limiter when I was climbing. I did lock it in second for one particularly nasty hill and it pulled it without a problem, but I did notice my temp gauge on the tranny climbing up to a hair over 200.

Next year we're headed out west for the big hills and while I've towed them with the X, we've never had a trailer this heavy. I think the next tranny flush is going to give me an excuse for an auxillary cooler. :)

Have a good one,
Dave

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow at the speed limit, especially if my wife is not with me... I have not towed a lot with my Excursion, but when I do, it is speed limit all the way.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
62-65 on the flat and low grade hills when on an e-way. When I'm forced to 50 because of two lane highway and hills, I'm out of overdrive.
Jim

turbodave

Turbo Fanatic
Reaction score
I try to keep it as close to 65 as possible. Actually I tow by the tach. 2000 seems to yield the best power vs. mileage. Anything over 2000 and the mileage starts suffering. Too much under and the power starts to suffer.

dmftoy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turbodave said:
I try to keep it as close to 65 as possible. Actually I tow by the tach. 2000 seems to yield the best power vs. mileage. Anything over 2000 and the mileage starts suffering. Too much under and the power starts to suffer.

Yup, that's the conclusion I've come to also . . .at about 1900-2000 the boost comes up and the egt's stay down no matter what speed I'm towing at. The only thing I've noticed is that in the switchbacks when I'm pulling slow that a consistent 1900-2000 with the TC unlocked causes my tranny temps to creep up near 205. I think I have a good plan for that at the next flush though. :)

Have a good one,
Dave

FordMastertech

Ford Guru
Reaction score
The sweet spot for my x is around 65 to 70 Mph. The transmission stays locked in over drive and will pull most on the normal type grades. I have towed the travel trailer as high as 80 at times but the fuel mileage goes to hell. With the Pullrite hitch this combination is amazing on how stable it is.
FMT

_CH_

Nautiques Freak
Reaction score
boat = depends on where & when im going but 60-75 (ya i know....)
(ANY)trailer = no more than 5 over speed limit but usually speed limit or less

PS - FMT, how di you rig the " Remote Starter With Remote Controlled Fast Idle " to have remote fast idle? id love to be able to do that :sweet

Last edited:

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
dmftoy1 said:
I just got back from 2200 miles in 8 days and while I like to tow around 59mph it seems like it's much easier on the truck to run about 64mph. At 59 I have it shifting in/out of OD (unless I turn the OD off), and it seems like my EGT's get much higher on a hill. At 64mph it never leaves OD (even in the hills of Virginia) and the the EGT's stay in a nice sweet spot. (just curious what you're all seeing?)

(9500lbs GVW for the trailer, W/D Hitch)

Have a good one,
Dave

Last time I towed on a trip was when my family moved to Florida and back to Texas ten months later, but thats another topic. I was pulling the 24' bumper pull enclosed white trailer in my vBGarage photo's. That heavy thing (2x4 square 11 ga tubing every 18" under steel floor, diesel generator, full cabinets, etc.) levels my truck to the overload springs when it's empty. It's empty in the picture, I loaded a 3 bedroom house in it, as much of the weight possible over it's axles. I weighed 23K at a truck stop on the way. That trip on I-10 is fairly flat and 1300 miles each way by myself. I ran 70-75 with no chip or tuner at the time, only airiad, 4", and tripillar and drove in 12 hour spurts, I got between 8-10 mpg but didn't care, I just wanted to get there. I ran between 6-10 boost, 600-800 egt (after turbo), and 125-140 on the tranny.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg