What speed are you towing at?

dmftoy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
Last time I towed on a trip was when my family moved to Florida and back to Texas ten months later, but thats another topic. I was pulling the 24' bumper pull enclosed white trailer in my vBGarage photo's. That heavy thing (2x4 square 11 ga tubing every 18" under steel floor, diesel generator, full cabinets, etc.) levels my truck to the overload springs when it's empty. It's empty in the picture, I loaded a 3 bedroom house in it, as much of the weight possible over it's axles. I weighed 23K at a truck stop on the way. That trip on I-10 is fairly flat and 1300 miles each way by myself. I ran 70-75 with no chip or tuner at the time, only airiad, 4", and tripillar and drove in 12 hour spurts, I got between 8-10 mpg but didn't care, I just wanted to get there. I ran between 6-10 boost, 600-800 egt (after turbo), and 125-140 on the tranny.

Wow, how cold was it when you were pulling? Your other numbers were about where I was at 18k total weight, but your tranny numbers are about 70 degree's cooler than what I was seeing. (I was 170-190 in 90 degree ambient)

To get the fast idle on the remote start couldn't you just have an AIC that comes in automatically with the parking brake set, have the parking brake set and when you started it you'd go into fast idle? (my wife leaves my parking brake set sometimes and I start it up and it goes to fast idle about a minute after it fires)

Have a good one,
Dave

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
dmftoy1 said:
Wow, how cold was it when you were pulling? Your other numbers were about where I was at 18k total weight, but your tranny numbers are about 70 degree's cooler than what I was seeing. (I was 170-190 in 90 degree ambient)

To get the fast idle on the remote start couldn't you just have an AIC that comes in automatically with the parking brake set, have the parking brake set and when you started it you'd go into fast idle? (my wife leaves my parking brake set sometimes and I start it up and it goes to fast idle about a minute after it fires)

Have a good one,
Dave

I moved to Florida on New Years weekend, and back around Halloween, so probably 50 degrees during the day, but I remember the trip back running the A/C while driving, and while sleeping in the back seat at a truck stop.

erlong

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just started towing a friend's boat for him (26-1/2' Crownline). Probably close to 7,000 lbs with it loaded with gas, coolers, trailer, etc. I would agree that 65-70 MPH is the sweet spot and overdrive holds on slight hills. It can go 70+ no problem, too. Very smooth ride and easy to handle. I'm impressed with how the X tows.

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with the 65-70 sweet spot. Not as good on the diesel fuel but seems better on the engine and tranny. My rig is 17,400lbs. GVCW and the trailer is 35'. Just ran to PA from Atlanta and back through the Blueridge mountians with no probs. I run with a Hensley Arrow Hitch System and the stability is amazing when towing at those speeds. I have never had a sway issue with this setup. Even when a rouge 18 wheeler flys by doing 90. :bootyshak

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
62mph is as slow as I can go and keep the trans from shifting (hunting) between 4th & 3rd. 65mph is good up to 72mph.

Our engines like to tow at 2050rpms, at least that's where the best balance between mileage and towing power is. Above that the mileage drops significantly.

DR.billZ

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
78. Yeah 78. -popcorn
That is: with a 6X12 enclosed trailer traveling from Tn to CO. It hits a perfect pull at that speed. Plus it chops the driving time by quite a bit.

Now with the camper I go quite a bit slower :) :sweet

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno.... but wouldn't ya wanna tow at the peak torque rpm to get the most effeciency out of the rig ?

turbodave

Turbo Fanatic
Reaction score
haulin8or said:
I would agree with the 65-70 sweet spot. Not as good on the diesel fuel but seems better on the engine and tranny. My rig is 17,400lbs. GVCW and the trailer is 35'. Just ran to PA from Atlanta and back through the Blueridge mountians with no probs. I run with a Hensley Arrow Hitch System and the stability is amazing when towing at those speeds. I have never had a sway issue with this setup. Even when a rouge 18 wheeler flys by doing 90. :bootyshak

Since most X's tip the scales at over 7600 (my 4x2 weighs 7800 full of fuel), that means your 35'TT only weighs something less than 10,000 :dunno
Can that be true???

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I found it hard to believe when I bought it and even harder to believe when I weighed if for myself on a CAT scale. Factory states the dry weight at 7,900/lbs. (pre A/C, Propane, tanks empty(all 4 of them)). GVWR on the trailer is 10,900#. It is aluminum frame construction with fiberglass side. It has 2 slides, one on each side. I don't run with any liquids in the tanks, and in fact, when I weighed the combo I was absolutely bone dry in the fresh water, black, grey and galley tanks. I had a 1/2 tank of diesel, wife, a 6, 4 and 2 year old, tools and other stuff in the X at the time of weighing. I don't have the CAT ticket in front of me otherwise I would give you the axel weights. I am going to weigh it again but this time I am going to un-hitch while on the scale so that I can get an actual on the trailer and the X. The rig is a pleasure to drive, no sway and the PSD and TS Tranny handle the weight well, even in the mountains. :thumbs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg