What to clean ATV with?

willtill

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A Pennsylvania mudhole swallowed me and my Yamaha Big Bear ATV two Sundays ago. :D Luckily, it didn't ingest any water and I was able to extract myself from the quagmire. I've been cleaning the mud out of it ever since.....

Some interior areas of the frame are not accessed easily though. What do you all use to clean stubborn mud stains from the frames of your motorcycles and from the cooling fins of the head?

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland

drchris1024

SDD Security
Reaction score
willtill said:
A Pennsylvania mudhole swallowed me and my Yamaha Big Bear ATV two Sundays ago. :D Luckily, it didn't ingest any water and I was able to extract myself from the quagmire. I've been cleaning the mud out of it ever since.....

Some interior areas of the frame are not accessed easily though. What do you all use to clean stubborn mud stains from the frames of your motorcycles and from the cooling fins of the head?

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland

Will, good to see you here. Down here Ga. red clay is some pretty hard stuff to clean off, alot of us down here use Greased Lightning. In most cases it is a spray on let sit, and then spray off. We use a pressure/power washer most of the time to speed up the process. Hope this helps.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pressure washer was always my choice. I think I've used that greased lightning stuff too, but it says right on it not to let it sit to long.

Once everything was spotless, I hose the whole thing with WD-40!! Keeps the rust away, and makes it harder for the mud to stick on the NEXT trip.

I cant count how many times I've swamped my old bigbear. Thats all there is to do here in the south is ride mud. Your intake is just under the fual tank where the seat and tank meet. So long as you keep the front of your seat above water, you can keep it hammered!

This pic isnt me, but this is the stuff we ride thru. This was taken at the "suicide hole" at Marengo last year.

DSC03853.jpg

dmftoy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
willtill said:

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland

FWIW . . .we used to hose the whole atv down with 409 or Simple Green the night before we'd go out wheeling. (particularly under the fenders, etc). It would dry in place and it seemed to re-activate the next day when we hit it with the hose to clean up. (and the mud just fell off). Seemed to work pretty well for us and worked great assuming a clean ATV to start with. Now the mud that got packed into the a-arms, etc . .that was a pita.

Have a good one,
Dave

drchris1024

SDD Security
Reaction score
Will, Simply Green works just didn't seem to work as Greased Lightning.

Daryl, when I was talking about letting it sit I was talking about only a minnute or two, and definitely agree with the WD-40, it makes a big difference on how much Greased Lightning I have to use. Looks like ya'll had a good time there. I don't know about the mud down there but the red/orange clay mud hole here will ruin just about any article of clothing.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this mud stains everything brown/grey. We have a little bit of that red clay in Washington state too, and it turns everything it touches an off shade of brown/red. Cant get it out. ever.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I have more trouble getting blood off my machine than I do with the mud. The soil around here for the most part is sandy with some gumbo here and there and we have our share of the red stuff too. But I use the simple green and a pressure washer.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
willtill said:
Deer blood? Or yer blood?

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Elk blood.

Once that stuff cooks to the exhaust you'll play hell getting it off. Can usually get two hind quarters on the rear cargo rack, then the two front quarters on the front cargo rack and all the back straps and tenderloins (loose meat) go in my back pack for the trip out to the truck. But those hind quarters are usually still dripping down through that back rack right onto the muffler.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58