What to look for on a used TT?

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
We are thinking about moving up off the ground and into a TT. We're not quite sure what we are going to get yet. It may be a 5er, bunkhouse, or toyhauler. We have 2 kids and one on the way and would like to not have to fold down a table or couch for them to sleep. What should I be looking for on a used trailer?

Scott

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Specifics, I probable can't tell you. But having two kids bunks are great. I would prefer to have a tub/shower which makes it easy to wash the kids, but my second unit didn't come with that. Storage space for your stuff, and their stuff. Don't forget some toys. Nice big side opens up the area for days when you are stuck inside. Too small, and things can go bad. What is good for the adults, if you go 5th, make sure you can stand up mostly in the sleeping area. My first rig you had to crawl to get into the bed. That was OK for a while. Storage, storage, storage. I also like that I can use my rig on the road without having to open the slide much, if at all. Stopping to go use the toilet, make some lunch... Would love to have a generator. Probable next purchase.

Well, that's it for my ramblings. Hope it helps.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I'd stay away from "stick & tin" style trailers, that is, ones made with corrugated sheetmetal siding. The siding dents very easilly and being exposed to a hail-storm can be expensive to repair. I know what I'm talking about, we had a severe hailstorm in Marquette about two months ago. About 10% to 20% of the estimates were "totals". We are still doing estimates and will most likely be doing that repair work throughout the winter.

What you want to look for is a trailer with "smooth sides" or Filon exterior. The framework is of welded aluminum tubing, styrofoam core insulation bonded to inner & outer skin surfaces using fiberglass resin. Some models/manufactures use 1.5" aluminum tubing, some use 2". This type of construction resists typical hail-storms quite well. Any hailstorm damage to these style units (in our area) was limited to the crank-up vents and air conditioner shrouds. Most manufactures offer models using this style of construction.

Travel trailers & 5th wheel trailers both have their advantages and disadvantages:

Fifth wheels:
pull easier & more smoothly
sway less
must generally be pulled with a pick-up (limited interior space for people)
2nd trailer can often be towed behind fifth wheel trailer.

travel trailers:
living space is all on one level.
can be towed by vans, SUV or pick-ups.
frees bed of pickup for cargo/gear.
typically are not as tall as fifth wheels

Bunk house style floor plans are ideal for families with kids. Some floor plans actually have a rear "apartment" bunk area where the kids can have their own area allowing mom & dad a little privacy & quiet up front in the main bedroom. Many units (LIKE MINE) have queen beds in front with beds in the rear. Not quite a "bunk house", but still big enough to sleep 2 to 3 kids.

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
front and rear caps where the roof stops and the big fat trim and sealant is laid. it DOES leak and needs at least annual inspection and maintenance
look arounf all the lights for evidence of water

and inside look around the edges of the ceiling for tell tale spots

shop around and decide what floorplan suits you best the bunks are great for kids and visitors

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have all ways been told that you have to buy at least 3 RV's before you get just what you want. LOL I now have our 4th trailer and it's still not everything I want. Everyone on here has told you the truth so far,about what to look for and all. Water leaks will ruin a RV faster than anything.

Also Read this.

Arrive around 9 AM (2 hours before scheduled inspection time)

Last edited:

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
Best advise, go to a large dealer, and look around. Take the kids with you. Look in all of them and find a floor plan you like. If you are buing used ,then all of the above advise has been very good.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
We are thinking about moving up off the ground and into a TT. We're not quite sure what we are going to get yet. It may be a 5er, bunkhouse, or toyhauler. We have 2 kids and one on the way and would like to not have to fold down a table or couch for them to sleep. What should I be looking for on a used trailer?

Scott

Man Scott, have I got a deal for you...........

2003 26z

We had the same thoughts as you. Hated the idea of the first thing in the morning was stowing sleeping bags and restoring the dining area. We bought the 26z because it had the three bunks in the rear with a privacy divider and the queen bed in the front with the privacy divider. The dinette and sofa in the slide area stayed in tact overnight and the kids slept in their "bedroom" and we in ours.

Still for sale.............:sly

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Linky no worky.

We will probably buy used. If it is a bunkhouse, it will need a slider. If it is a toyhauler we won't need the slider. Just want a little room to get around in case we are stuck inside.

I guess I missed Mike getting a new truck.:sweet

Scott

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Linky no worky.

We will probably buy used. If it is a bunkhouse, it will need a slider. If it is a toyhauler we won't need the slider. Just want a little room to get around in case we are stuck inside.

I guess I missed Mike getting a new truck.:sweet

Scott

Sorry Scott, try the linky again.......my bad.:rant

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
That's exactly what we need! Too bad you are in Wyoming and I am in Georgia. Maybe Bama could provide some free shipping.

Scott

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg