what would you charge per mile?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Yeah my feathers aren't ruffled I am just telling it how it is. Would you like it if the local trucking company decided to haul the stuff out there for the guy and then stayed to do the work in his house at a discounted rate?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just saw $4.059 per gallon diesel fuel here, so if you get 12 mpg towing, fuel cost will be $1 for every three miles you travel. I don't see how trucking companies are making it. They will have to pass on the rising fuel costs to the customer, or go bankrupt. Trucks getting 4 mpg, are paying $1 per mile.

and that doesnt include wear and tear OR insurance !

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I agree with crumm, i dont want my response to be listed as undercutting a professional.
if its a buddy and i want to help then its one thing (.95-100 a mile). but if its a contracted business exchange then insurance and all the legal requirements should be met

remember the hot shotters that were towing rv's after katrina, they made a killing but carried virtually no insurance levels of those of professional drivers.
then dot caught up to em and they got hit with the same rules otr guys had for insurance and time behind the wheel.
i know some of them were making two trips a day from mid tn. to lower miss. you cant tell me they were sleeping much. thats purt near a 24hr rolling
day, which = dangerous nut behind a wheel

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And here is another thing to think about. If you get in a wreck, and your insurance carrier finds out you were "for hire", they CAN AND WILL deny all claims.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
sounds like i need to talk to my insurance agent to see if this is even doable.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to know more about this deal. You are doing work for this customer on both ends.
I think you can legally haul the product yourself in that case. If it belongs to you and you have it for sale I think you can haul it.
I don't want to make anyone mad but 69 needs to do some more leg work on this one.
Yes on talking to your inc man. What is the value of what you will be hauling?

Last edited:

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i still need to talk to the customer about exactly what she wants shipped but everything in her house is valuable. i was given a ballpark figure of $10k. but like i say i haven't gotten an itemized list yet.

i need to find out if i am responsible for insuring her stuff or if she can get a rider on her policy... i know i can get a rider if i build cabinets or something that i do at the shop and then deliver to the jobsite, i can get the load insured for replacement value while it's in transit. but as far as insuring someone elses belongings, i don't know how that works.

i have a good agent thru State Farm so i will have to see what i'm getting myself in to.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be careful, things get broken and lost on a trip like this.
Make darn sure the ins. man knows what you are up to and has your butt covered.

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All very good advise. I had an offer to do some hauling on the side for a local business. Went to the lawyer and got all the legal work done to open it as a business only to find out the insurance requirements were going to cost 3 times what I would have made hauling the stuff. The way it was explained to me is you can haul for the cost of expenses and that is it. Once you make a profit it becomes for hire and requires commercial insurance. Better to play it safe than to end up sorry.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't touch a load that pays less than $1.25 per mile to me.... And that's just using my truck leased onto a company, not a truck and trailer. Remember you're fuel cost alone is gonna eat 50 - 60 cents per mile of that run to go out and come back. Hauling for cheap isn't worth it.

For household goods more $$$$$$$. They won't be able to even talk to a big household goods carrier on a move for............ $1 per mile:lmao:lmao

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14