Question What's a good year for the PowerStroke?

Republican

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
New to the Diesel Arena!

I have been informed that the early 1999 PowerStroke trucks had issues.
Would this be correct, or is it just part of a rumor mill?

For sometime now, I have had an interest in attaining a 7.3 liter PS and now I have the ability to do so... I just want to make an informed purchase before I buy!

Please understand that I intend to convert to Biodiesel in the spring of 2009. So therefore I wish to keep my purchase in the late models and not a newer year truck... such as 2005 and up!

Any and all comments will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
'96 & '97 for the OBS (1st generation Powerstroke)
'00 for the 2nd generation (Super Duties)
Don't get an '03 (First year of the 6.0)

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the Hell out of my 03 6.0. Louder than a raped ape, Faster than most around here. (Of course, all the lights and sirens help a bit). :D

FWIW

Barrett

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
honestly, i dont think there is any "bad" year or engine. each engine has its bugs, but for the most part both engines kick butt and are extremely reliable.

my 1997 7.3 has 207k miles (mostly towing or driving really fast) and i really cant say that it has ever required any major repair other than the torque converter, but it was right on par for the life expectancy of an auto so no harm there.

the 2003 6.0's get mixed reviews.....first year run of a new engine, lot of horror stories, lot of people on this forum that have an 03 6.0 and they love them so......? i say its 2008, any '03 6.0 has had its chance to screw up/grenade/fuel dilute/whatever.....so i would not hesitate to buy one anymore.

welcome to the forum!

Jinco

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 2000 has been great other than the lousy transmission. I replaced the tranny at 89K. Other than that it runs and looks like new at 111K.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
It depends on what you plan to do. Some like the looks of the OBS, some Superduty. You can't go wrong with either. I like my 2000. International started using a PMR (Powdered Metal Rod) connecting rod sometime in '01. This is not an issue if you remain stock or go up to 400hp. (stock truck is around 200)

The 7.3 loves bio-diesel. The transmissions can be an issue but in stock form a good re-build with a shift kit and good Torque converter will be fine. Cooling is essential to maintaining a transmission's life. No matter what year truck you get, you can always add stuff from newer models. (See sig)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2000 has been great other than the lousy transmission. I replaced the tranny at 89K. Other than that it runs and looks like new at 111K.

It depends on what you plan to do. Some like the looks of the OBS, some Superduty. You can't go wrong with either. I like my 2000. International started using a PMR (Powdered Metal Rod) connecting rod sometime in '01. This is not an issue if you remain stock or go up to 400hp. (stock truck is around 200)

The 7.3 loves bio-diesel. The transmissions can be an issue but in stock form a good re-build with a shift kit and good Torque converter will be fine. Cooling is essential to maintaining a transmission's life. No matter what year truck you get, you can always add stuff from newer models. (See sig)

X3 with the 2K 7.3s

Other than a Water Pump @ 50K, a Throwout Bearing @ 80K (+ a new clutch, cuz it made sense) and the usual consumables..This has been a Dam good truck.

I'm 10,000 miles into a cross country RV journey and this ol' boy is just humming along, tote'n a 12K 5r. Nuther 1500, or so, miles to go...... NO ISSUES. 139K on the clock.

Took a few Mods (below)to get there tho.. ;):lmao

Republican

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance here, but is the Six(6) speed manual tranny standard equipment or optional? Or is it strictly an option for a particular configuration such as 2wd trucks?

Additionally, my ignorance is reaching maxium velocity... are there any options for trading automatic 4wd hubs to lock in - lock out, hubs?

I am an old school Ford Pickup driver... back in the day, I owned a HighBoy w/the typical 38" Mickey's, onboard!

With the lock in - lock out hubs, I saw a significant rise in fuel mileage.

Revisit the primary questions of this post...
-----------------------------------------
Question 1: Six Speed Manual Tranny
Question 2: Lock in - Lock out, Hubs

Once again, thanks in advance!

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
My truck came with auto hubs (switch on dash, hubs have two positions: auto and lock). These trucks have a unti bearing. I think that is where the inefficiency comes from. I saw a 2mpg increase when I installed a free spin kit (traditional spindal, serviceable bearings, manual hubs). The stock auto hubs are vacume actuated. They also have a "Lock" position in the case that you need the hubs locked imdiately. The auto hubs require you to drive forward a distance before they lock. If I had it to to over I would have bought a 6 speed with a manual transfer case. The conversion isn't out of the question yet either.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My early '99 was good to me overall. No major issues other than the tranny which wasn't limited to that year. There were several changes made after the initial release of the '99 in ('98) such as the air box intake location (fender vs front). I did run into problems finding aftermarket parts (level lift, trac bar, etc.) for the early '99 where there were many more options for the late '99 and newer. If I were buying in that timeframe again, I'd get a '00 thru '03 with the 7.3L. Somewhere there should be a thread highlighting the differences between the early and late '99. Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14