Question What's a good year for the PowerStroke?

Fine69

Reaction score
What part of the East Coast are you from Republican? I live a couple miles from the Butler Auto Auction. Myself, I'm partial to Supercab Longbed trucks. You will definitely have a big selection to choose from at Butler. If you can, have a dealer run an Oasis report before you buy anything at the auction. Northland Ford runs a lot of Ford buyback trucks thru there every month.

JayBird05

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Early 99 PSD

I've got a early 99 F 350 Xcab 2wd with 130,000 great truck getting better. Had tranny rebuilt by pro w/ premo parts, billet everything @ 89,000. Banks turbo upgrade, Six Gun stacked on Ottomind chip. AFE air filter, Banks exhaust, alot stuff. 22 mpg road ( no tow )....13-15 mpg town (some tow)

Jay Bird 05

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
late 99 stick only prob in 202000 has been clutch (130000 common) running bully dog 6 pos chip pulling 37ft 5er and haulin ass (lots) even cps lasted 168000

Republican

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Now lets get into the suspension... are the 99 to 03's leaf sprung fronts or coil? Want leaf sprung if can get it!

Republican

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What part of the East Coast are you from Republican? I live a couple miles from the Butler Auto Auction. Myself, I'm partial to Supercab Longbed trucks. You will definitely have a big selection to choose from at Butler. If you can, have a dealer run an Oasis report before you buy anything at the auction. Northland Ford runs a lot of Ford buyback trucks thru there every month.

Within 40 miles from Butler Auto Auction, my brother is a regular there as he is a dealer! He said that the sales on Diesel Trucks are very soft and that I should be able to get a nice truck 99 - 03 PSD for under 10k.

I just want to get it right... get all the information, beforehand. If you look at my other passion, its done right, Inside my gallery!

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
'05 was the first coil sprung front end. I haven't heard of any complaints regarding the coils up front.

Fine69

Reaction score
Now lets get into the suspension... are the 99 to 03's leaf sprung fronts or coil? Want leaf sprung if can get it!

99 to 04 are leaf spring front ends. 2005-current are coil springs. Also 2005- current, have bigger brakes, bigger wheels, in my opinion a better looking front end, and nicer interiors. The coil spring front suspension also rides a lot better and has a much better turning radius. Diesel powered pickup sales are definitely in the crapper right now, so you should be able to buy a 2-3 year old truck for a song.

timboe02

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
New to the Diesel Arena!

I have been informed that the early 1999 PowerStroke trucks had issues.
Would this be correct, or is it just part of a rumor mill?

For sometime now, I have had an interest in attaining a 7.3 liter PS and now I have the ability to do so... I just want to make an informed purchase before I buy!

Please understand that I intend to convert to Biodiesel in the spring of 2009. So therefore I wish to keep my purchase in the late models and not a newer year truck... such as 2005 and up!

Any and all comments will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Issues, maybe but in 304k hard miles only a waterpump and CPS was replaced on my early 99. I want a new truck but I just cant justify it. It's now become more of a game to see how long the beast will run...

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score

Keep in mind that if you have front-end leaf springs, you probably won't want the long bed. Leafs have a far greater turning radius...and the long bed adds to that radius. Get used to taking multiple shots at the grocer parking spaces...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14