Whats up with the interiour lights!

obonaventure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
West Deptford, Gloucester County, Southern New Jer
We went to the Drive-in Movie the other night and when I turned the ignition to Acc for the stereo the interior lights stayed on the entire time. Finally, we got tired of the lights being on and just listened to our neighbor's radio. But then it still takes 15 or 20 minutes for the interior lights to "time out".

Anyone have any suggestions? Where are the switches on the rear doors and the lift gate glass?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is the way they work. Sort of like opening the garage door and having the light stay on as you get your things out of the car and leave. I do not know af any way to kill the delay. Anybody??

Dave

obonaventure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
That is the way they work. Sort of like opening the garage door and having the light stay on as you get your things out of the car and leave. I do not know af any way to kill the delay. Anybody??

Dave

Thanks. The delay does not bother me, beacuse there are times where that could be useful. It'd be nice to be able to override it. My old Suburban had a button to disable the interior lights.

I'd really like to know where the switches are on the rear doors and the lift gate and how to trick the truck into thinking they are shut. I know the front 4 doors have the switches inside the door panel somehow (dumb move on Ford). The lift gate has two sockets on the truck (I guess you could call them that) and two plugs on the lift gate itself. I'm not too sure if these are the switches or not. The rear doors have me stumped. The rods that you disconnect to open them fully can't have it because there are people who leave them permantely unhooked.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the rear cargo doors have a switch ?
maybe since you have to open the hatch to open the doors ?

I too would be interested in an override....
wonder if they are controlled by one fuse ?
could you interrupt power to that fuse with a switch on the dash ?

dang, I hate to be cutting on my brand new trucks wiring, but ya got me thinkin' :)

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
My Expidition does it too....... -mad

I'll be following this thread to see what you guys come up with or if I find which blue wire to cut and not blow the thing up I'll let you guys in on the secret. :sweet

obonaventure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
My Expidition does it too....... -mad

I'll be following this thread to see what you guys come up with or if I find which blue wire to cut and not blow the thing up I'll let you guys in on the secret. :sweet

I'm at work now and can see my truck in the parking lot. I keep looking over trying to get ideas.......

If I can figure out where the Door Ajar switches are on the rear doors I may be able to hook a switch up to close the circuit when the doors are open. the switch could be mounted in the rear near the reverse sensors speaker. :thumbs

CHPMustang

Reaction score
obonaventure said:
I'm at work now and can see my truck in the parking lot. I keep looking over trying to get ideas.......

If I can figure out where the Door Ajar switches are on the rear doors I may be able to hook a switch up to close the circuit when the doors are open. the switch could be mounted in the rear near the reverse sensors speaker. :thumbs
If the 2005's interior lighting harness is anything similar to the 2002's a switch could be installed mid harness from the front passengers floor kick panel,here's a PHOTO of connector C210 location and on that connector point look for the Black with Light Blue tracer wire at Pin #13 PHOTO

My Excursion is with the wife today and I cannot verify if the wire harness is the same until this evening so if another owner can check it out in the meantime I appreciate it :cowboy:

Bill

obonaventure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
If the 2005's interior lighting harness is anything similar to the 2002's a switch could be installed mid harness from the front passengers floor kick panel,here's a PHOTO of connector C210 location and on that connector point look for the Black with Light Blue tracer wire at Pin #13 PHOTO

My Excursion is with the wife today and I cannot verify if the wire harness is the same until this evening so if another owner can check it out in the meantime I appreciate it :cowboy:

Bill

As always awesome info Bill!

I just want to confirm two things. First, are the diagrams you link to from a 2002 Excursion? Second, what exactly do you mean by "installed mid-harness"? I may be reading too much into that but I want to make sure before I snip, snip, snip....

Thanks

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
obonaventure said:
As always awesome info Bill!

I just want to confirm two things. First, are the diagrams you link to from a 2002 Excursion? Second, what exactly do you mean by "installed mid-harness"? I may be reading too much into that but I want to make sure before I snip, snip, snip....

Thanks
The Photos I took are for 2005 Excursion the only difference is the wiring colors but the harness routing remains the same.

The wife brought the Excursion by during her travels so I tore into the harness juncture inside the kick panel and found that #8 Orange is constant hot(for map lights) and #11 Black/Light Blue tracer is switched hot which I assume is for the courtesy lights. PHOTO of the top of the harness coming from the dash note the pin numbers on the back cover. PHOTO of connector C210(the clean black one) the top part of the plug wiring runs to the dash and CJB the lower part on the floor runs back to the powered accessories.

I'll tear into the harness again this evening to confirm it all :sweet

What I was referring to "mid harness" is in the kick panel is where the dash harness connector/s connects to the harness leading back to the courtesy lights,running board lights,map lights,etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg