Whats up with the interiour lights!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
obonaventure said:
Man do I feel dumb when it comes to this stuff :confused:

So; so far you saying cut into the switched hot (Black/Light Blue tracer). Or do I cut the orange and install a switch?

Or could I just put black tape over all the interior lights :roflmao

Just wear really dark glasses the next time you go to the drive in......... :sorry

CHPMustang

Reaction score
obonaventure said:
Man do I feel dumb when it comes to this stuff :confused:

So; so far you saying cut into the switched hot (Black/Light Blue tracer). Or do I cut the orange and install a switch?

Or could I just put black tape over all the interior lights :roflmao
I will say don't cut into anything until the circuits are 100% confirmed.What I do instead of cutting is I remove the pin/s with wire lead right from the connector then install a 3M Scotchlok connector so in the event I have to return the circuit to stock it's as easy as removing the connector and putting the pin back in the harness connector :sweet

Again it's Great to have you aboard Otto :cowboy: Let the others know about SDD quietly ;) :)

Bill

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
obonaventure said:
We went to the Drive-in Movie the other night and when I turned the ignition to Acc for the stereo the interior lights stayed on the entire time. Finally, we got tired of the lights being on and just listened to our neighbor's radio. But then it still takes 15 or 20 minutes for the interior lights to "time out".

Anyone have any suggestions? Where are the switches on the rear doors and the lift gate glass?
I'm getting into this way after the fact . And You guys are probably talking about something different. But, I remember reading in the owners manuel something about being able to set the amount of time it takes for the lights to go off after you shut down. I don't have my truck with me today so I can't check. Does what I mentioned have anything at all to do with what you all are discussing? :dunno
If not, then uuummmmmm Nevermind.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
When the key is removed and the doors,rear hatch is closed the courtesy lights should stay on for 30 seconds then power off.

When the key is in accessory position for say you're at the drive in movie where the audio is broadcast over the FM band the courtesy lights don't power off for like 30-45 minutes it seems.

A switch installed mid circuit will take care of the lights by leaving it in the auto or off position. :)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I found an override of sorts. Just flick the verticle dimmer switch next to the headlight switch. That will turn them off without cutting anything. The only thing is that you must do this everytime you want the lights to go off.

Dave

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well duh DB :)
yes lowering the light intensity down should do it :)

good catch !!!
sometimes the forest and the trees get in the way and sometimes you get HIT by a tree :)

obonaventure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
West Deptford, Gloucester County, Southern New Jer
ForumBlue said:
I'm getting into this way after the fact . And You guys are probably talking about something different. But, I remember reading in the owners manuel something about being able to set the amount of time it takes for the lights to go off after you shut down. I don't have my truck with me today so I can't check. Does what I mentioned have anything at all to do with what you all are discussing? :dunno
If not, then uuummmmmm Nevermind.

The setting you are talking about is for the headlights I believe.

obonaventure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
West Deptford, Gloucester County, Southern New Jer
I did find out the the lower doors do not have the Door Ajar switches in them, its on the lift gate.

If you trip the latches on both sides of the liftgate shut with a screwdriver you will have tricked the truck into thinking the liftgate is shut. Then the lights will turn off 30 seconds or so after that. You just need to make sure you pop the paws back open by putting a screwdriver between the paw and the latch and pull the outside handle to open the paw (Don't forget to do this for each latch).

I like the idea of a true mod to control the lights better as CHPMustang is suggesting.

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the '93 chrysler minivan we had the dash dimmer switch was also such that if you turned it to extreme bright there was a position for the lights to be on manually and in the extreme dim setting it was set to turn the interior lights such that they would not come on at all. Seeing as how my truck is old school this might be something to look into for a possible mod with the dash.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg