wheel bearings?

black_cloud_stroker00

GO BIG RED!!!
Reaction score
I have read old posts and even the Tiki articles. In my understanding, there is no way to pack the wheels bearings. If the wheel bearings go bad, you have to replace the hub. Is this correct? Is there any preventative maintenece for them?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is about it. No way to pack a bearing or even getting one bearing out or loose. They come as a pre-made set.

Dave

'57turbo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I gutted one of these at the shop. I think you could find the bearing, but the race is the actual hub mount. So there is no way to get a new race. R-R is the most least expensive. Dyna-trac has the big $$$ replacement.
The Timken bearing is preset on the bearing load and grease.
Duane

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
If you have oversized tires like your avatar shows, I would suggest the Dynatrac system. Somewhat pricey, at least a 1 week back order, but you won't have to worry about wheel bearings again. It's not like they're really that hard to change out anyway.

Yes, you have to buy the whole hub assembly and for under $300.00 each from powerstrokeshop.com I don't think that's that bad of a deal. Dealer will nickel and dime you up over $540 and that's before the ABS line that costs $115.00 from the dealer.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I'd heard you can inject grease throught the hole after removing the ABS sensor from the front hub. But since I have a early 99 w/o front ABS, I wouldn't know for sure. I went with a Dynatrac kit about a year ago and took some pics. You can see them in my webshots, the link is below. :thumbs

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
black_cloud_stroker00 said:
About how much is the total for the dynatrac kit?

I think I got it for about $1600 shipping included, but that was a year ago. It's likely to be a tad more by now. I also got some extras locally like new axle joints and axle dust seals and so on.

For those who are interested, my old posts describing my Dynatrac conversion are HERE.

Last edited:

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Tail_Gunner said:
I'd heard you can inject grease throught the hole after removing the ABS sensor from the front hub. But since I have a early 99 w/o front ABS, I wouldn't know for sure. I went with a Dynatrac kit about a year ago and took some pics. You can see them in my webshots, the link is below. :thumbs

This is something Ive been doing since the truck ws new to me... every srping, I take the ABS sensor out.. using a "Turkey syringe" I fill it with Mobile 1 (Red Grease) and force in as much grease as possible. once filled, I take Mobile 1 synthetic OIL... 75-140 Gear Lube iand contiue to fill. This helps rejuvinate the older "Waxed" grease + it will displace any air that may be in the hub. I spin the bearing frequently as I do this. I found it to be important to get as much air out of the hub as possible. The air expands and will push out the grease if its not completely gone. I have 160 K on the truck, I have replace 1 bearing, did this at the 150 K mark.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58