When do you plug in??

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Since this is my first winter with the 6.0, I was wondering at what temp does everybody plug in??

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I'll assume you're referring to the block heater and if that's the case my timer kicks the heater on 3-4 hours prior to anticipated startup. :cool:

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Bill, yes I was refering to the block heater, I was curious if the 6.0 was any different than the 7.3's in this regard. I usually plugged it in anytime it was below freezing, to help ease the starting a little.

John

(I have had either too much nyquil or not enough :confused: )

CHPMustang

Reaction score
To my knowledge the block heating requirements is near the same between the two engines. :)

If you have a 15 amp rated timer available I'd definitely utilize it as it'll kick on at the right time.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
John,

I would suggest any time you can below 40*, it isn't neccesary then but it will make it warm up and start alot easier. :)

:D

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I must be a tight wad........... I dont plug in unless its going to be in the single digits early in the evening (clear nights with a full moon are the worst) and stay that way until I need to start up. I also use a timer, set for three or four hours prior to anticipated start time in energizes the block heater and away we go.

And I think the coldest I have started the rig without plugging in was around 15 below.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
geesh, you do realise how much it cost to run the block heater right?????

Must really be a tight wad! :p :p :p

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Big K said:
geesh, you do realise how much it cost to run the block heater right?????

Must really be a tight wad! :p :p :p

My math tells me about $0.60/day @ $0.10/kwh and a 1500 watt user running approx 4 hrs a day. Youre right, that is chump change,

unless I used your theory and plugged in anytime below 40°F, then it would be approximately $20.00/month for 9 months.:D Hence I only plug in when its cold out, which is under 10°F. -popcorn

:sorry I was a farm boy raised in ND, we had diesel engines out the wazoo and I have probably a much different perspective of what cold is than do most folks.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
1500 watt???

They normally pull around 1000 watts, but I have measured lower than that, around 950 Watts.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
My bad, I thought they were 1500 watt heaters.............. So the $20.00/ month goes to $15.00/month, and I just used 10 cents/KWH as a round figure...I'm not sure what a kwh costs right now to be honest. :sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg