When do you plug in??

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Depending on what ya pay for KWH, it should be around $0.08-$0.10 an hour to leave it plugged in.

Cost Per Day:
4 hours every day = ~$0.36 A day (using a average of KWH of $0.09 and 1000 Watts)

Cost Per Month:
31 Days @$0.36 = ~$11.16

Cost to Easily Start a Diesel :

PRICELESS! :D

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
With the 7.3 I plugged in around the freezing mark, on a timer set to come on about 4 hours before I'd leave for work.

I didn't know if the 6.0's were different, she fired up fine and dandy this morning at 27* without being plugged in.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
buy an invertor, plug the block heater into it. Then charge your batteries all night. Free electricity right. :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

Sorry, had to do it. I have had this conversation so many times with guys that say they can get free electricity. They always looked stumped when I ask how much it costs to charge the batteries, and cool the room down that they just put all that heat into.

Trapper77

2003 Owner
Reaction score
How does it affect your mileage? I have found that by plugging in I get considerably better mileage until I reach full warm up. With Diesel at $2.69/G it is saving me money to plug in even at $20 month.

Trapper

strokin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told by a dodge owner, that you shouldn't plug in all of the time when it's cold. And his reasoning was to make sure you have all eight glow plugs working and you GPCM is working right. And that way if the truck sits without being plug in you know it'll start. I plug in if it's going to be really cold and i'm leaving early in the morning. I thought this was a pretty good way of looking at it but someothers might not. Let me know your thoughts about it

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Yeah, but what do Dodge owners know? :roflmao The glow plugs are there for a reason, but the BLOCK HEATER is also there for a reason. Why be hard on your truck engine? Starting when it cold soaks overnight makes you miserable, runs up yor fuel costs, and can decrease your engine life.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg