When to use anti-gel additive???

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
Beginning to think fall isn't coming to these parts--temp is 70 degrees today and very humid but very, very dry.....no rain of any consequence for over a month now.

Anyway, at what temperature should an antigel additive be used and what are you all using and recommending??? Lots of them on the market but not sure which are good and bad.

I live in the Northeast where temps can get down to 10 degrees during the winter months, sometimes with a chill factor of -15 depending on wind but I don't know if or how wind chill affects diesel fuel. Any help would sure be appreciated. Thanks.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used it once in 2 yrs when i was in virginia...even into the high single digits
parked out side (plugged in 3 hrs before i needed to drive it) i never saw a
need...or an improvement in performace

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Power Service in the white bottle. Usually need to start adding it in November. We have had some very early cold snaps in the last few years when it gets in the low teens and single digits for days on end and before the fuel stations have switched to winter fuel.

This is what happened to mine and dozens others two years ago. We had trucks (including semi's) stranded all over the road.

Have learned to get it in early since then.

Hope it helps.

Barrett

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Power Service in the white bottle. Usually need to start adding it in November. We have had some very early cold snaps in the last few years when it gets in the low teens and single digits for days on end and before the fuel stations have switched to winter fuel.

This is what happened to mine and dozens others two years ago. We had trucks (including semi's) stranded all over the road.

Have learned to get it in early since then.

Hope it helps.

Barrett

What temps did that happen at and what did you and others do to get rolling again?

North Alabama = Cold Temp Expert = NOT

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What temps did that happen at and what did you and others do to get rolling again?

The only time I've ever had fuel gel, it was ambient ~ -20° and ~-30° or so with the wind chill. I don't want to even think about the witches' brew of additives I was running up in Minot when it got to -60°--I suspect the tank was more additive than fuel in those conditions...:eek:

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Stanadyne Performance Formula is what I recommend year round.

S31845.jpg

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
When to use anti-gel additive??? Before your fuel gels up!!!

Big question is what is your fuel rated at? During the winter we can get blended that is good for -15 and #1 that is good to -70. During the summer we can get +20 and -15. You would have to call your local refinery and ask them what they are making to find out for sure. Most stations sell fuel for the climate. Problems arise when fuel is purchased in one place and then transported to another. We get rigs up here that come up on the barge from Seattle and then once we haul them to the North slope the fuel is like jello. Rigs that come up the highway seem to do fine as they fuel up in the Yukon before they hit the real cold temps. Moral of the story is that there is no exact temp when you should add anti-gel, it depends on the fuel.

I personally use Howes Diesel Treat.

Diesel Treat continues to be North America’s leading brand of Anti-Gel, guaranteed to keep you from gelling, or we pay your tow! Experience the following benefits or we refund your money: Increased power & MPG’s, Cleaning and Lubricating of fuel injectors, Fuel filters lasting up to three times longer and the harmless removal of water. Contains highly refined petroleum ingredients with no alcohol, harmful solvents, sulfur or ash. Will not void any engine manufacturer’s warranty.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Run a decent additive year round, but when it starts hitting 35 or less, run a little more. Always keep a few bottles of 911 behind the seat. This stuff can be a life saver. Last winter I was running good fuel, but after about a week of high to low teens I felt it lose power on a major highway. I always carry spare fuel filters, but the idea of swapping on the side of the road had me realize fuel conditioner is actually cheap in contrast. The little red bottle freed up the fuel in minutes and I was able to top off and add more conditioner. Well worth the $8 for Power Serve 911.

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Single digits overnight, low teens during the day, plus, since it's Idaho, wind chill to who knows what.

As far as the fix, for me (2) fuel filters and D 911 and time sitting in a heated shop till it thawed out.

Barrett

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Like Crumm said....it's all in what you buy. Untreated #2 clouds at 20*F, when it clouds it waxes up filters. Around here major truckstops start blending with #1 in October and claim it's good to -20F. Ask your station where you fill if they are blending, if the clerk doesn't know....RUN and find another station or truck stop that knows about diesel.

FWIW last year with ULSD caused bad problems for the anti-gel manufacturers. The old formulas didn't bring the cloud points down low enough and stranded alot of OTR trucks and fleets all over the country. This year should be better.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14