When upgrading my converter...

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am upgrading to an ATS converter, trans temp gauge, and possibly a valvebody and was wondering if there is anything else I need to do to the tranny while I am under there. What valvebody is recommended for a daily driven truck also used as a car hauler to the track? Spirited driving and four-wheeling, but no drag passes.
Thanks,
Jesse

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
ats pump upgrade, and if you are going to crank the engine way up it might not be a bad idea to put in the upgraded input shaft. both are cheap from ats.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
the input shaft requires no brains at all, it literally slips in and you just need to be sure that it is in all the way. the pump upgrade doesnt require a tranny wiz, but definatly a confident and somewhat experienced mechanic. its not hard at all, but very intimidating and requires extremely small holes to be drilled in specific areas.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would dump all the ATS crap and go with something with a warranty... SunCoast, BTS... anything other then ATS...

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, tell me more...same quality with a warranty? Keep in mind, I won't be doing any crazy pulling, looking more for longevity and reliabilty when pulling a car trailer.
Jesse

bdrummonds

Maximum Overdrive
Reaction score
Suncoast is out of Ft. Walton, Fla., and has dealers across the U.S. Very high quality stuff, good warranty. BTS( Brians Transmisson Shop) is out of Lead Hill Ark. he is considered by most to be THE MAN for the 4R100, great customer service, no questions asked warranty. There is also John Woods out in Cali for you left siders, he and Brian are considerd equals, just on the West coast.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also getting a little drainback from my torque converter after it sits for a little while...Is the valve in the tc or will I need to replace that as well while I'm in there?
Jesse

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, tell me more...same quality with a warranty? Keep in mind, I won't be doing any crazy pulling, looking more for longevity and reliabilty when pulling a car trailer.
Jesse

I talked to BTS after getting the VB but he wasn't keen on selling me a TC.Reason is that if you are not installing it in a fresh trans and you already have some miles on the trans and it gives, your new TC will be contaminated by the debris. The only way to clean it is to cut it apart.

I followed his route but unfortunately, the 01 Diode Curse struck me a while later. I had to drive in 2nd gear for over 100 miles with burnt fluid. It took the trans about all of 2 mins literally after malfunction till it burnt the fluid. Drove back like that and later had the trans removed. BTS gave me credit for the VB in spite of the fact that it has been stewing in superhot fluid and debris for over 100 miles.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what should I do, take the tranny into a shop and have them look it over and see if it needs freshening? Is this an easy tranny to rebuild if I buy the kit? About how much are we looking at? So not only a tc, gauge, filter, front pump, and vb but now we are also looking at rebuilding the tranny?
Thanks for all the responses guys,
Jesse

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58