Where do I find engine codes for a 6.0?

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
Where do I find the (2005) 6.0 codes and an explanation of the problem? Need the info asap!! I just got a code P0281 on my Edge and my truck is idling rough. Can I clear it and go? Do I need to go to Ford? I've had too many probs in 15,250 miles on my truck. Can I get compensation from Ford (buyback, new truck) or am I screwed. I have to have reliability and it's not happenng!!!!-mad

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
So...I'm assuming it's an injector problem? Can I clear and go? Should I have Ford look at it? What do you think? Is there an explanation of what the code means? Does anyone know?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I would assume an injector problem and I doubt clearing the code will be the end of it.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
draftlover said:
Where do I find the (2005) 6.0 codes and an explanation of the problem? Need the info asap!! I just got a code P0281 on my Edge and my truck is idling rough. Can I clear it and go? Do I need to go to Ford? I've had too many probs in 15,250 miles on my truck. Can I get compensation from Ford (buyback, new truck) or am I screwed. I have to have reliability and it's not happenng!!!!-mad

dont even want to touch it.
you werent running #5 on the edge,were you? yep they may get a little snippy about fixing it.
that was the last thing holding me back on a tuner. I knew my 7.3 was tried and true, but the 6.0 seems somehow dainty, compared to the 7.3
keep us posted what you find broken or unplugged etc.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Like Robert says....

I hope your dealer will work with you. But think of it this way, if you had that Edge cranked up to the max and it made the engine go beyond design limits and break, why is it suddenly Ford's problem and a lemon truck?

Maybe it will be a simple fix, I hope so. I certainly don't wish a hefty repair bill on a fellow forum member. But one thing that really grabs me by the shorts is when someone mods a truck, when Ford warns them of the warranty consequences and then cries foul when the engine breaks. It drives up the costs of these trucks and maligns the reputation of the engine further even as Ford and International have made many strides to correct the faults that were evident in the early models.

I don't think you would be successful in a lemon law buyback, but then again I'm no lawyer. I have read from several sources that Ford takes engines with major failures, does a full teardown and inspection and THEN makes a determination whether or not you get a replacement remanufactured (not new) engine. If they find any engine damage attributable to use of that Edge, you pay. :eek:

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
I wouldn't start pointing fingers untill the facts are know.:cop I wasn't running the edge on #5 it was on #2 (+40 horse). I just put the Edge on two weeks ago. I ran this truck for 14,800 miles w/ no mods! So, I order $1550 bucks worth of mods (exhaust, intake and the Edge Plat.). Before I put one of the mods on on, my truck dies won't run or start. Tow it to Ford (keep in mind a 2005 with less than 15,000 miles). I think it is bull **** that I'm stranded in a $50,000 pickup before it is even broken in!!!-mad Cylinder #1 injector problems. They fix it (new injector), and I think O.K..... I'll eat the ****ty fuel mileage, It's a big truck. I'll let them slide on the shocks going bad after 10,000 miles. I'll give them an injector going bad at 14,500 miles. So, since I bought almost 2 grand worth of mods (I figured they had the bugs worked out) I should put them on. So I run the Edge and intake for about two weeks. Never on 4 or 5 and only 3 a couple of times, 'cause my exhaust isn't in yet. (Fearfull this piece-o-****e truck might break down and an exhaust is a lot harder to remove). So now here I am paying $750 bucks a month on a truck that won't run for more than two weeks at a time. Incidentally, it was the edge that alerted me to the problem. It seems an injector in cylinder #7 is going out now. I want Ford to replace all the injectors, but chances are they won't do it because the warranty doesn't cover "preventative items". Even if two similar parts already failed. Bottom line...I have never owned a new vehicle with these kind of problems. Had many new ones and used ones. I have never owned a vehicle (new or used)with problems like this at all. Never!!! My dad warned me about Fords since I was a kid. I have never been brand loyal and bought what I liked. I liked the Ford. Now I'm done with them. Dodge here I come!! 25 mpg and reliability like a mother and a sweet new interior.
If Ford builds a rig with the Cummins in it, I might be persuaded back, but never until then. I'll be stuck with this truck unless Ford will take it back. If not, I might trade it if I'm not too upside down. If the Admins. will still have me, I would like to still participate on this site. I know there are a lot of loyal powerstroke guys who probably can't stand me now. Hopefully they can understand. Now after the injector is replaced this will be the 4th time the truck has been in the shop. Second time for the same thing. Well see how it goes.:dunno

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Brandon,

I am sorry to hear about the bad luck you are having with your truck. My only point was that Ford is going probably take a very hard look at your truck, seeing that you have done modifications to the intake, exhaust, and the suspected use of a tuner such as the Edge. Whether or not your truck was running poorly before the mods wouldn't matter in their opinion. It would be the condition of the truck as it stands NOW.

You live in Wyoming, so I gather the Ford dealerships are few and far between. Do you feel comfortable with the service department at your dealership? Do you feel your diesel technician is competent? Some of the problems that these engines have are due to misdiagnosis by less than competent technicians. These engines had their problems earlier in their production cycle, but there have been several design changes and improvements that have addressed issues of reliability.

I can tell you are frustrated. You can rely on the help of everyone in this forum, as I have found them to be some of the best people on the Internet, they know their stuff, and above all, are very friendly to newcomers. I don't think you have anything to worry about too much from the moderators. They will let you know with a PM if they do.

You've given us a bit more information as to what is wrong with your truck. Any more information might help. Again, it might be a simple, but agonizingly slow fix, especially if your dealer only has one technician and he's stacked up three deep with some of those OLDER 6.0 trucks!

We're all pulling for you for a successful resolution to your problem. :sweet

Last edited:

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the Mods out NOW...

Problems before modding are all the more reason NOT to mod....

You are adding extra stress to an already "Stressed" system...

Many have had miles and miles of modded trucks work fine...

let's say it this way....
if I had a bad cold and wanted to go run a marathon....
do you think my coughing and sneezing may stop ?
or get worse ????

good luck... put the mods on the shelf for now and "discuss" it with Ford... may be time to trade it in if you are having difficulty...
Did you buy it new and have all the maintenance records ?

(Oh, and you DO know not to mention edge or any mods to the dealer, don' you ?)

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:
Take the Mods out NOW...

Problems before modding are all the more reason NOT to mod....

You are adding extra stress to an already "Stressed" system...

Many have had miles and miles of modded trucks work fine...

let's say it this way....
if I had a bad cold and wanted to go run a marathon....
do you think my coughing and sneezing may stop ?
or get worse ????

good luck... put the mods on the shelf for now and "discuss" it with Ford... may be time to trade it in if you are having difficulty...
Did you buy it new and have all the maintenance records ?

(Oh, and you DO know not to mention edge or any mods to the dealer, don'
you ?)

I took the mods out yesterday. They are on the shelf... all $2,000 dollars worth. I'm taking the truck to Ford today. I did buy the truck new from my local dealership and since it's been there 3 times already, they know it's history. (I know the mods are hush, hush!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg