Where do I find engine codes for a 6.0?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I hope it goes positive. with the head hunters looking harshly at reasons to "not Pay" let us know

i climb back up the fence now to wait and see.
i can spend 500 on a tuner worth of stuff on the rv now.....

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
My truck does what I want, goes as fast as I want it to go, and pulls what I want it to pull without the addition of a tuner. My truck had lousy fuel economy until it hit the 20,000 mile mark, I'm now getting average 17 mpg without the trailer, 13 with the trailer. IMHO adding a tuner to a 6.0 is just asking for problems. But to each his own.

Ford pushed the envelope with the 6.0 engine in the horsepower war with GM and Daimler/Chrysler, and adding a tuner can overstress the engine. But damage from tuning that does NOT make the engine a POS. Any device pressed beyond design limits will eventually fail. Properly maintained and left stock, the 6.0 should provide a long and productive service life.

Good luck with your negotiations with the dealer and Ford, draftlover. I really hope it goes your way. :sweet

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
rray32539 said:
Ford pushed the envelope with the 6.0 engine in the horsepower war with GM and Daimler/Chrysler, and adding a tuner can over-stress the engine.
What?!?!?! I guess I don't agree... You can't build something thats just within tolerances and hand it to the general public!!! A Indy race car isn't available at your local dealership...Why?... Because you can't put that kind of fine tuned (not to mention fast) car in just anyone's hands!! A motor, especially a working motor, has to be bombproof. That's the bottom line. This pansy crap doesn't cut it! Lets make something that lasts!!

rray32539 said:
My truck does what I want, goes as fast as I want it to go, and pulls what I want it to pull without the addition of a tuner. My truck had lousy fuel economy until it hit the 20,000 mile mark, I'm now getting average 17 mpg without the trailer, 13 with the trailer.

I don't have 20,000 on it. If it'll run long enough to get 5,000 more on it, I'll have to see if it improves. And mine pulls great, too. But a tuners upper settings aren't for towing. They're for ripping it up if you want to. Not for every day. With the Edge you can monitor vital fuctions of the engine and tranny, which is critical. That is one of the main reasons I bought it. I just use the computer to monitor instead of individual probes and gauges!

rray32539 said:
IMHO adding a tuner to a 6.0 is just asking for problems. But to each his own.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying here. The parts failing on my truck are "PRE-MOD FAILURES". The truck broke BEFORE the mods. Yeah, I added a tuner later (Running only 40 h.p. over stock...Keep in mind that some intake, exhaust, Synthetic oil and good fuel combos could produce almost that much power WITH OUT the tuner!). The same pre-tuner failed part (injector) failed after the addition of the tuner. Fords excuse..."Well we have better luck with some trucks than with others." My rebuttal...so my 50 grand buys a crappier truck than Joe Blow because "We have better luck with some trucks?" IMHO...CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!

rray32539 said:
But damage from tuning that does NOT make the engine a POS. Properly maintained and left stock, the 6.0 should provide a long and productive service life.

Yes, you might expect that a stock engine would last longer. Mine has not. I have maintained it, and it has failed 4 times in one aspect or another. I personally know guys who have modded (Intake, Exhaust, Programmers, lift kits, etc.) Cummins getting 29 MPG (Best) 22 MPG (average) With 150,000 miles plus!! No problems. I agree that tuning damage does not make an engine a POS...But, an engine that cannot run right un-modded, with the manufacturer obviously aware of the problem, is bunk!!-mad

rray32539 said:
Good luck with your negotiations with the dealer and Ford, draftlover. I really hope it goes your way. :sweet

Well, the dealer is about two weeks behind on repairs now. So
They said "It might be a week or so, but we'll get it in ASAP",
and whats going on with my truck is
"Somewhat common. We have better luck with some trucks than with others."
I asked if the injectors are re-designed.
"No, they are new or rebuilt, but the same style of injector.
Sooo...Why use the same part(injector) if it doesn't work right?
"That's the way it is.Ford says they fail because inferior fuel is being used with low cetane values and allowing gelling in the cold. Ford recommends this [$7 dollar a bottle, treats 125 gallons] cetane booster in every tank and this
[$7 dollar a bottle, treats 125 gallons] anti- gel when its cold. Ford does not recommend any other additives."
I'm calling bull on this one. A diesel should run an any pump fuel.(I use good fuel Shell, Flying J and add cetane booster and anti-gel...just not Ford's.) Maybe better on some than others, but it should run. A filter may need to be changed here and there if the fuel is crappy, but injector shouldn't go out left and right. Bottom line, lame excuse for crappy parts.
Can I have you replace all of the injectors?
"No. Ford tests them when we send them in. If they have not failed we don't get paid."
If I call corporate and complain, will they make it right?
"I doubt it they don't budge much on this issue.You can try."
You realize if this happens again in the next year. The trucks a lemon under the 'Lemon Law'?
I get a shoulder shrug.
"Do you need a rental car?", they said.
Yes, but I need something with 4-wheel drive. I live on 7 miles of dirt road, and when it snows or rains, I can't get in or out with a car.
"We don't have 4-wheel drives for rentals."
Can you get me one, I said.
"No. We don't have them."
O.K., Whatever, I say. And I walk out of the dealership.
Customer service #1!!! And they wonder why their stock is the lowest out of any U.S. Car Manufacturer!! I think if my sales were in the ****ter, I would want to keep people coming in and promoting my merchandise. Not smack talking it. On the one hand, Maybe I'm being a little bitch and I should relax and shut up. On the other hand, Maybe I'm getting screwed and have the right. I don't know. I guess only time will tell. One more and the law is on my side!!!:sweet

Last edited:

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Brandon,

It sounds like you have a DEALER problem more than a problem with Ford. You seem to be treated like the contents of yesterday's diapers, and I would buck it up to Ford management and get them in the loop, sending a copy of your letter to your state attorney general or consumer advocate. Keep copies of everything. A lot of the problems with these trucks are with bad dealers and less than competent technicians, not the trucks themselves. Misdiagnosed problems and poor repair jobs only make things worse. But you will find that the GM and Dodge have their own share of problems. Going from a Ford to a Dodge because you perceive that the build quality is better...ask a Dodge diesel driver what he drives and he will probably answer he drives a CUMMINS, a great engine surrounded by a less than perfect truck.

Your dealer is telling you the truth about the injectors, however. Ford will only replace injectors found to be defective, not the entire set if one is found to be defective.

As others have told you, remove the Edge before you take it in for service. If you are asked about the EGT probe, tell them the truth, it is for a EGT guage that isn't installed. Gauges are one thing that Ford doesn't have a problem with. If you can change the engine operating parameters that Ford establishes with the "gauges" like the Edge with the Juice module, they get testy.

You had a bad injector. It happens. Nothing that man makes is perfect 100 percent of the time. But your dealer is feeding you a line of b.s. about the Ford fuel supplement being the ONLY approved supplement. Diesel-Kleen seems to be the additive of choice among many, you can get it at any good automotive store, even Wally-World. In the Florida panhandle, I don't even need to use it every tank, as it doesn't get cold enough to gel fuel except for a few nights a year. But cetane levels in winter fuel absolutely suck and the possibility for gelling is real. The result is the truck doesn't run and you get more frustrated. It couldn't hurt and would definitely help in cold weather like you have in Wyoming. Ask any big-rig trucker. They swear by the stuff.

It's too bad that you're in the position that you are in and that there are not a number of other Ford dealers to take your truck to. Some have abysmal service, some have service that would put a NASCAR pit crew to shame. I've seen both extremes.

I know that it is very frustrating to be without your truck, especially since you are probably making payments on something you can't drive. Bring that up to the Ford regional representative, the contact number is in your owners manual. Be polite, but firm. Explain your situation and ask for assistance from them directly. It sounds like your dealer just does not wish to go the extra mile for you. Once you get your truck back to working order, and you will, remember that when you are in the market for another vehicle. You can always go elsewhere for another Ford.

Things will work out eventually. Good luck.:thumbs

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
That was a nicely written piece rray32539. Thought out, to the point, and polite.

Dave

I agree. I just want everyone to know that I am not some redneck who goes into the dealer cussing a screaming. I am as polite as the situaton allows and obviously I dont cuss up a storm. I'm a little abrasive here only because I am venting. I appreciate all who reply honestly and tell me what's what.

And now for the general apology:

I am sorry I did get so worked up. I am extremely frustrated. I went to the dealer yesterday and talked to my salesperson and the finance manager (Who happen to be personal friends.) and told them the situation. I had an '06Ford F-150 4x4 rental to drive in about 10 min. I guess it pays to talk to others. I have knocked Ford as a brand throughout this post and in truth they are as good, if not better, than any other out there. In the post before this rray32539 mentioned that the Cummins motor is wrapped in an inferior truck (Dodge) and that is true. I think Ford had a much higher quality truck. So with my tail between my legs, my head down, and my pride bruised :sorry.

Last edited:

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
What's to be sorry for? Sometimes everyone has to bitch a little. But if we can help, let us know. It sounds like your dealer is beginning to come around to your way of thinking. Considering you bought one of the most expensive vehicles on the lot, I think what the dealer is doing for you is the least they could do. Keep us posted. I think they'll get your truck right yet and you'll be enjoying it soon. :sweet

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Apology accepted Brandon. But I am in agreement that it is not needed. I was not commenting on you, but on how rray32539 did such a nice job composing that response. We all vent once in a while.

Dave :)

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
O.K. I was pissed off when I posted thread the first time, so I'm almost ashamed to pick it up again, but I feel I should give everyone who is interested an "up to date" post.

I called the dealership today and they said my truck is done. It only took 8 days including Sunday.:rolleyes: The secretary had no Idea what they did to it, so It's still up in the air on whether they had to do another injector replacement. I am going to get the truck now and hopefully the problem is fixed. I'll let everyone know what the diagnosis was and what the repair did to fix it.:sweet I'll post the results later tonight.

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
It was an injector on the #7 cylinder. They replaced it and my rig runs great again. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. Interestingly, I talked to my salesperson and they said they are really having a lot of these kind of problem with the 6.0L. The dealership really pushes the V-10 in light of that. I guess I'm not the only one. They also said the 6.4L is probably a go in '08. I might have to get the Cummins. I guess there is a guy in town that just bought a new Ford and a new Dodge and is swapping the engines. Imagine a Cummins mated to a Torqushift!!! AHHH, it's heavenly! In '08 Ford will again be the top dog, if all goes as planned!!:sweet

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg