Which Air Filter

Discussion in '99+ 7.3L PowerStroke Engine & Drivetrain' started by SeventyMach1, Jun 26, 2006.

1. JLDickmon

JLDickmon ursus combibo

hmm... easy for me to drink beer any time... :roflmao

2. JSPulliam21

JSPulliam21 Uva Uvam Vivendo Vari Fit

The BHAF is the best way to go IMHO. You get a filter that, well, filters, you get better flow, due to the increased surface area and deeper pleats, you get longer service intervals, and it is easy as pie to install. I put one on a friends truck in 10 minutes. We used a piece of 4" exhaust pipe, painted gloss black and we left the IAT sensor laying next to the filter. It only needs to read the intake air temp, so laying next to the filter gives the intake air temp.

3. CSIPSD

CSIPSD Full Access Member

You couldnt drag the AFE stage 2 away from me... IMHO...

4. SeventyMach1

SeventyMach1 Full Access Member

Doing more research, I completely understand that the AFE is probably the best out there .... in every aspect. But there's NO WAY I can justify dropping over $400 on that thing. Call me crazy, but being in control of the air temps. that enter your engine isn't worth paying that much extra to me.

So where can I get a 4" x 3" long piece of pipe? Looks like the BHAF is for me.

BTW, I've always been a K&N fan. I've used it in many different sports cars. But after reading some things about them being used with PSD's, I've gotten kind of skeptical. I already purchased one & will be returning it tomorrow & doing the BHAF thing.

5. XTrmXJ

XTrmXJ NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!

Your probably not going to be able to find the pipe at any exhaust shop, those guys only go to 3 inch.. Any Diesel shops or service stations will have it, Look to spend about $9 a foot and at most places, you have to buy a foot.. I bought 2 foot so I could do this mod and patch my exhaust where the previos owner had crushed a section

6. 00F250

00F250 SDD Junior Member

I didn't use any pipe in my assembly, i just lubed up the hard platic end of the filter and worked the tube and filter together. Took a little work, but its done.

7. Djracer

Djracer Car Stereo Dude

8. dpantazis

dpantazis #12

NAPA!

your local NAPA should be able to order you in a 4" 'adapter' that is 4" X 8" long.

part numbers are 41987 4" ODx8", 41895 dbl 4" ID, 41897 4"ODx4"ID respectively. They are all about $10 locally. a little bit more than scrounging a foot of pipe, but might be easier to source.

dennis