Which performance chip is better?

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 4x4 7.3L powerstroke with K&N air filter and a bullydog 3" down-pipe +
cat "test pipe". Which chip is better for performance/safer (lowest egt's),
Edge EZ or Bully Dog 6-Position 4-Bank Chip for Ford Powerstroke?
I tow a 30' 5th wheel toybox 14,000lbs gvw.

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With anything you need to add a pyro, both can get hot under the right conditions. That being said, Edge will be a small gain, about 50-60 hp, its a fancy 10K mod. The bully dog chip is a TS blank with there burns on it.

If your going to go the Chip route, go with DP tuner, or ATS, or DI, or Tony Wildman. I am not a fan of bullydog tunes, they are way under powered and have too much timing.

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CSIPSD said:
If your going to go the Chip route, go with DP tuner, or ATS, or DI, or Tony Wildman. I am not a fan of bullydog tunes, they are way under powered and have too much timing.

are these brands of tuners/chips safe? what are you running?

Last edited:

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dp or Tony Wildman?

Which has safer cylinder head pressures?
What is OBS and NBS?
:hail

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
OBS - old body stle - 94-97

NBS - new body style (super duty) - 99 to present.

Dont know about the head pressures but those chips listed are the leading preferences by most users. You can visit with the makers of those programs and get them tailored to your truck and your desires. I plan to add one to mine as soon as $ allows. You are more likely than not safe with any choice, just call them and visit with them about what you are looking for in a chip.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
ward cleaver said:
Which has safer cylinder head pressures?

It's cylinder pressure. Some tuners, Jody Tipton(DP) and Tadd(ATS) have equipment to measure CP to make sure their product have peak pressure at the right time of crankshaft rotation.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
ward cleaver said:
I have a 97 4x4 7.3L powerstroke .

also get rid of the waste of money K&N air filter and get a tymar or make your own version of the tymar air filter.

what injectors do you have?single shot or split shot(non california/california emissions) this will make a smal difference in what programs you can get.

also remember that no matter what you do you are only going to gain about 75 extra horsepower till you get upgraded injectors.wich i highly recomend www.beansdieselperformance.com for modded injectors,chip and programs and i believe he also sells the tymar air filter

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14