bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'll need it cuz i have a duet that is 2 years old now:rant

ive already got all the links youll need, including the mfg. service
and repair docs.... ive even been given the mfg tear down instructions,
step by step !

got all the links to all the parts suppliers (watch out for the shipping cost),
and can tell you who ACTUALLY stocks the parts !

My wife has already said this gets fixed ONCE...if it goes bad again we're done !

At that point ill strip the washer down, photograph & catolog the parts & part it
out on ebay....as they say the sum of the parts is MORE than the whole !

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I'm glad I'm running a 20 yr old matag Rather small capacity but how big of a washer does a single guy need?

& the price makes it even better, Free, matching dryer died and so they were getting rid of the washer too since it was "old" it was ready to die soon too.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
ive already got all the links youll need, including the mfg. service
and repair docs.... ive even been given the mfg tear down instructions,
step by step !

got all the links to all the parts suppliers (watch out for the shipping cost),
and can tell you who ACTUALLY stocks the parts !

My wife has already said this gets fixed ONCE...if it goes bad again we're done !

I'll keep you in mind if mine decides to go on vacation here in the future.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
That's why I'm glad I'm running a 20 yr old matag

Unfortunately, Maytags arent what they used to be anymore either.

My wife and I were discussing this phenomenon that seems to plague the appliance market now a days. You go drop 2500 on a fridge that (most likely) replaced a functioning 25 year old unit and with in three years the new fridge is on the fritz.

We just updated all of our kitchen appliances this spring, the dishwasher just went in yesterday, with Kenmore Elite series. Total bill was right at 7 grand.:eek:

Oh yeah, the oven would not work the second time we tried to heat it up. Called Sears to come lookee, of course it was three weeks out before they could come. Sears service tech shows up and can find nothing wrong with the unit.:rant

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
My wife and I were discussing this phenomenon that seems to plague the appliance market now a days. You go drop 2500 on a fridge that (most likely) replaced a functioning 25 year old unit and with in three years the new fridge is on the fritz.

Very true. It is true with home electronics too. We purchased a new VCR close to 20 years ago and it has never missed a beat but the other 5 VCR's that we purchased since the first one only worked for a few years and then died. Old saying "they don't build em like they use to" is very true.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Maytags arent what they used to be anymore either.

We just updated all of our kitchen appliances this spring, the dishwasher just went in yesterday, with Kenmore Elite series. Total bill was right at 7 grand.:eek:

Oh yeah, the oven would not work the second time we tried to heat it up. Called Sears to come lookee, of course it was three weeks out before they could come. Sears service tech shows up and can find nothing wrong with the unit.:rant

Believe me I'm very aware of this phenomenon so I'll keep this one until it dies and I can't get replacement parts. Simply because of that. I like to blame it on the engineers and our technology. 20-30 years ago we just overbuilt things now we know the exact tolerances of different parts and can engineer failure after a specific length of time or number of cycles. This makes more money since they get to sell you multiple units because they know it is going to fail and the piece designed to fail first is the most cost prohibitive to replace.

End of hijack

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe me I'm very aware of this phenomenon so I'll keep this one until it dies and I can't get replacement parts. Simply because of that. I like to blame it on the engineers and our technology. 20-30 years ago we just overbuilt things now we know the exact tolerances of different parts and can engineer failure after a specific length of time or number of cycles. This makes more money since they get to sell you multiple units because they know it is going to fail and the piece designed to fail first is the most cost prohibitive to replace.

End of hijack

or they build 'em KNOWING theyll make the profit on the PARTS
<which cause 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the original unit> !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58