Help Needed White smoke out the tailpipe and loud knocking

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea its really weird, and the chip was removed when the pcm was reflashed. do you think my injectors cant handle the chip? i dont want anything to happen to them.

Yer call guy.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
A Chip you had Before the Re-flash ? Hmmmm

That was set up for the origonal PCM fuel mapping ? Hmmmm

Hmmmm, don't know what to tell ya on this one JR.

:dunno

here's my :2c
if you're trying to push 120 more horsepower through a factory slushbox, you're asking for trouble. Talk to the guy that posts as "Platinum01"

Secondly, I'm not one for monster clouds of smoke out of tailpipes. I think it makes diesels look eco-unfriendly.

I suppose the think to do would be to call & talk to Jody, but if you're looking for big clouds of smoke when you goose the throttle at idle, you're not putting any load on the engine, and it shouldn't be smoking. Could be that was a sign of a couple bad injectors :dunno

dpantazis

Reaction score
you'd better talk to jody and take notes when you talk to him.

80hp econo is about the most i would ask for out of your stock fuel system, tranny and injectors.

120 really demands more fuel delivery, consistent fuel delivery, and stronger clutch packs.

what were the programs you got from jody again? do you have access to a REAL code reader?

dp

JRJ04

Reaction score
see im thinkin i had some dirty/bad injectors and thats what caused the smoke. maybe everything is just nice and clean now?

ive noticed too that my egt's are higher than before. could this be due to properly working injectors? if im on the freeway at about 60 and want to roll it up to 70, it jumps up to nearly 900* pretty darn quick...quicker than i remember it doing. could this be a sign of a boost leak? it still seems like it doesnt run smooth either.

tnsilverfx4

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Would this problem apply to a 08 6.4L as well? I pulled outta my neighborhood and accelerated, not stomping on it, and kept rpms under 2k and a cloud of white smoke came pouring out of the tailpipe. It was enough to have traffic behind me slow down and detour to get the heck away. I did not have a loud knock, just a cloud of white smoke after startup. I just had the recall to replace the coolant line on the degas bottle completed.
Could it be something related to that? I'm going to check my coolant level before I leave work today.

Thanks!

JRJ04

Reaction score
that could be a fouled egr cooler. did the white smoke smell like diesel or coolant?

tnsilverfx4

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I didn't smell it. I was freakin' out too much to notice asides from using my sixth sense, the "ohh s***, I broke something" sense.....

Can you tell me where this egr valve thing is? The thing that guys are looking at to see if there is moisture or oil below the cap?

Sorry- just got this truck in june, 5200 miles, 1st diesel and I'm trying to learn the ropes.

JRJ04

Reaction score
im really not too familiar with the 6.4L. Maybe someone else can chime in? You might want to start a new thread in here so people dont over look it.

Moderators, do you want to move this to the 6.4 forum?

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58