Help Needed White smoke out the tailpipe and loud knocking

JRJ04

Reaction score
I have not done any of the in-tank mods yet. Probably would not be a bad idea to do them eventually. I know there are the in-tank mods, as well as replacing part of the fuel hose that comes off the pump. I dont know that I've got the equipment to pull the bed off and dont really know how easy it is to drop the tank. Are there any others outside of getting a regulated return?

In any case, the thing ran pretty smooth before any of this work was done so I'm hoping to get back to that point before I do anything at all. I drove it to work this morning and it might be a TAD BIT better. I'm hoping what I'm seeing is just air in the system that needs to work its way out. I figure in a day or 2 the tuner is going back in...thats what scares me. I hope what happened last time wont happen again.:dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Hint ? Keep yer fuel tank better than half full for the next week or so. That, in it's self will help purge air from yer system.

The fuel pump inlet fitting replacement mod is an easy and cheap mod..only takes 20/30 minutes and costs about 15 bucks.

Yer call.

:dunno

JRJ04

Reaction score
A Hint ? Keep yer fuel tank better than half full for the next week or so. That, in it's self will help purge air from yer system.

The fuel pump inlet fitting replacement mod is an easy and cheap mod..only takes 20/30 minutes and costs about 15 bucks.

Yer call.

:dunno

Yea I definitely will be keeping it pretty full. The fuel pump inlet mod is the one where you replace part of the hose that comes out of the fuel pump right? What kind of hose do you have to get? How much do you need? Won't I be introducing more air into the system when I do this and causing it to take longer to get everything purged?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel pump inlet mod is the one where you replace part of the hose that comes out of the fuel pump right?

No. You replace the fitting and line (all one piece) that's on the INLET (from the tank) of the pump.

What kind of hose do you have to get? How much do you need?

Diesel friendly fuel hose, about 16" and 2 band clamps, then cut to fit. NAPA is a good source.

Won't I be introducing more air into the system when I do this and causing it to take longer to get everything purged?

No. Cycle the key a couple times, start it up.. then after that yer actually speeding up the purge process because you've eliminated an air leak source.

This is a GOOD Mod/Upgrade to do on any 7.3, IMO. I've done many.. When yer done.. and start the thing up? you can hear the Cackle quiet down a considerable amount. Makes ya grin :D

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
This is a GOOD Mod/Upgrade to do on any 7.3, IMO. I've done many.. When yer done.. and start the thing up? you can hear the Cackle quiet down a considerable amount. Makes ya grin :D

does this require the removal of the tank or is this just on the outside of the tank?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does this require the removal of the tank or is this just on the outside of the tank?

We're talking about the fuel pump here JR.. this mod has nothing to do with the Tank.

The fuel pump is in the frame rail, under the driver side, just about under yer feet.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Ahh ok, I was confused when you said replace the fuel hose from the tank to the pump. I thought you had to drop the tank in order to get to that hose.

So...am I replacing a piece of hose that is between the tank and the pump or between the pump and the engine? I know you've mentioned this mod before in another thread, but cant remember where it was.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh ok, I was confused when you said replace the fuel hose from the tank to the pump. I thought you had to drop the tank in order to get to that hose.

So...am I replacing a piece of hose that is between the tank and the pump or between the pump and the engine?

*Between the Tank and the Pump.

*The best thing to do: Crawl under the driver-side of yer truck, just under the floor board, in the frame rail yul see the fuel pump.

On the inlet end (toward the Rear & Tank) yul see a connector/fitting with a piece of plastic looking tubing that connects the fuel pump to the SS fuel line coming from the Tank. THATS the fitting/connector yud be replacing with the diesel friendly, rubber, fuel hose and 2 band clamps.

About that fitting: IMO (and many, many others) that fitting is a Pressure type fitting. But because it is on the >inlet< end of the fuel pump, and the pump is >Sucking< fuel from the tank, there is a VERY, VERY good chance it is also sucking AIR into the fuel as it draws fuel from the tank, though that fitting. Not Good.

I know you've mentioned this mod before in another thread, but cant remember where it was.

Yes, I have mentioned this Mod before and should prolly do a DIY on it for us 7.3 guyz.:dunno

Joe

OBTW ? There is the same type of fitting down inside the fuel tank.. under >suction<, from the pump. THAT is what the "Hutch", or Tank Mod is all about...... AND why I mentioned earlier about keeping yer tank better than half full.

At better than half full, the fitting is submerged in fuel.... so Air can't be drawn in.

JRJ04

Reaction score
well I'll give that a go tomorrow maybe.

Here's something else I have a question about (actually 2) in relation to my recent repair:

1.) I checked my oil today because they said they had to change the oil becuase diesel had gotten mixed in with it. My oil is a little over the full mark. When you drain the oil, how much stays in the hpop? Could it be that I've still got some diesel mixed in with the oil and thats the cause for it sounding funny/not running as smooth as it used to? Could this be the reason for it not seeming like it has as much power as normal?

2.) Something else I've noticed is a sound coming from the engine that increases with throttle position. It really almost sounds like a 6.0 turbo thats spooling up but more of a whine to it and not so much of a whistle. You can hear it (whatever "it" is) "spin down" when you let off the throttle and really get wound up when I lay into it. I've heard it on my uncles 2002 that is bone stock and its still running fine.

Any guesses to my questions?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I'll give that a go tomorrow maybe.

Here's something else I have a question about (actually 2) in relation to my recent repair:

1.) I checked my oil today because they said they had to change the oil becuase diesel had gotten mixed in with it. My oil is a little over the full mark. When you drain the oil, how much stays in the hpop? Could it be that I've still got some diesel mixed in with the oil and thats the cause for it sounding funny/not running as smooth as it used to? Could this be the reason for it not seeming like it has as much power as normal?

2.) Something else I've noticed is a sound coming from the engine that increases with throttle position. It really almost sounds like a 6.0 turbo thats spooling up but more of a whine to it and not so much of a whistle. You can hear it (whatever "it" is) "spin down" when you let off the throttle and really get wound up when I lay into it. I've heard it on my uncles 2002 that is bone stock and its still running fine.

Any guesses to my questions?

1. Not knowing what "a little over full is".. Drain 1 Quart out and drive it for a day or two.. check for the sounding funny/not running as smooth thing. What little oil remains in the HPOP is moot...IMO.

2. Check yer PS pump fluid level. Add ATF (yes, ATF) as required ?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58