Help Needed White smoke out the tailpipe and loud knocking

JRJ04

Reaction score
1. Not knowing what "a little over full is".. Drain 1 Quart out and drive it for a day or two.. check for the sounding funny/not running as smooth thing. What little oil remains in the HPOP is moot...IMO.

2. Check yer PS pump fluid level. Add ATF (yes, ATF) as required ?

ok good...im glad theres not a lot left in the hpop.

sure enough the ps fluid resivoir was low! i added some atf to it (i think too much cause it puked a little) and the sound is still there to a degree, but it seems like that helped a bit. Should I flush the whole system? I know theres instructions on here somewhere on how to do it.

Something else I thought of about the running/power issue. They reflashed my computer when they did all this. I wonder if that could have anything to do with it. Maybe there was an updated flash out there that wasnt as good as what I had on there. I know there were several reflashes for the 6.0's but not sure about the 7.3's.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok good...im glad theres not a lot left in the hpop.

sure enough the ps fluid resivoir was low! i added some atf to it (i think too much cause it puked a little) and the sound is still there to a degree, but it seems like that helped a bit. Should I flush the whole system? I know theres instructions on here somewhere on how to do it.

*Don't flush anything yet. Try this>>>> Turn the wheel HARD left (til' it growls).. bump it against the stops several times. Do the same to the right. Check the fluid level. Drive it fer a couple days. Do the same thing over again. Post any changes in conditions.

Something else I thought of about the running/power issue. They reflashed my computer when they did all this. I wonder if that could have anything to do with it. Maybe there was an updated flash out there that wasnt as good as what I had on there. I know there were several reflashes for the 6.0's but not sure about the 7.3's.

I'm not aware of any up-grade type re-flashes for 7.3 PCM's, but then I'm not a FORD tech either... maybe some one else can jump in on that JR.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Yea I havent given the bump a try yet. Shouldn't I flush it anyways? That fluid has been in there since day 1 and i feel like I ought to get it out of there.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I havent given the bump a try yet. Shouldn't I flush it anyways? That fluid has been in there since day 1 and i feel like I ought to get it out of there.

Yer call JR.

I'm @ 142K+ on the OEM fluid. But then I'm a BIG believer in: If it Aint broke..Don't fix it.

JRJ04

Reaction score
yea, the problem is...im almost positive that at some point ive put ps fluid in it instead of atf. is there a big difference between the 2?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, the problem is...im almost positive that at some point ive put ps fluid in it instead of atf. is there a big difference between the 2?

My think'n would be.. Ya, you think you maybe added some PS fluid at some point along the way but, you checked it recently, it was low low, you added more than enough ATF.. the mix ratio is now moot.

But again.. yer call.

There are a couple'a school's of thought on PSF & ATF.. my take on it is: they are so close to the same.. they Are the same.

Some folks just have a "Thing" about put'n Automatic Transmission Fluid in a Power Steering Pump.. a marketing thing, IMO :dunno

Still yer call.;):D

Joe

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score

no, not really.
I mean there IS a difference, but the two are close enough for Government Work.

JRJ04

Reaction score
ok well fair enough on that.

now riddle me this...

I decided to put the tuner back in to see if it helped it run any smoother, and it did some. Mainly I wanted to see if it was going to blow up again though. Well it didnt blow up! I really didnt push it at all becuase I think I'm scared to death something else is going to happen. When I take off, if i I get on it a bit I can almost hear a clatter like its valves (but i think its the cackle but man is it loud!) Is this normal? It almost sounds like I could really screw something up if i did that too hard.

Also, and this is what has me worried, I cannot get the thing to smoke for the life of me. Before my injectors blew, I could have the tuner on 80 or 120 and sit with it in park and blow smoke out no problem. Even when I was driving I could put out a pretty good black puff with little to no effort. Now...its hardly anything at all. Does this mean I'm not getting enough fuel to the cylinders AKA theres more than just 3 injectors that werent working?

Let me know what you think...I might just have to go chipless from here on out.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Chip you had Before the Re-flash ? Hmmmm

That was set up for the origonal PCM fuel mapping ? Hmmmm

Hmmmm, don't know what to tell ya on this one JR.

:dunno

JRJ04

Reaction score
yea its really weird, and the chip was removed when the pcm was reflashed. do you think my injectors cant handle the chip? i dont want anything to happen to them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58