Why Cummins conversion????

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was looking for a new diesel to buy I was looking for a Ford with the Cummins swap. I did test drive an 01 2500 4x4....slow as hell and no room in the back seet of its crew cab. About equuivalant to Fords extended cab. Cummins are very powerful and fast when fixed up. I've watched several videos on youtube of powerstrokes vs cummins, cummins won more of the pull off's and races. I think for life span, they are equivalent to each other. I've also heard that parts for the 5.9 is cheaper...you also have less injectors to replace when it comes that time.

I feel like everyone else has already mentioned....they are a hidious truck. Reason why I went with the 7.3, reliable and it looks good.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the cummins swap doesn't need to be a hack job ,, they sell all the proper parts,harnesses and tranny controller for a clean swap .. it is a common swap

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was just in Diesel power, The guy owns a ranch and has always used Dodges but said the trucks didn't hold up that well so he bought a brand new f350 with a V10 and sent it right to Destroked to have the swap done. They had to get a different tranny because the bellhousing on the V10 ZF trans won't fit over the cummins flywheel so they got one out of a 6.0l. I just couldn't do that to a brand new truck. Plus i would rather have the Powerstroke.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I missed that one ,, but I have seen similar articles ,, one was a tow truck getting the swap
the other even had custom ford cummins emblems

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, but if my truck blew it cookies, I'd consider a DT466. The thing that draws people to the Cummins is how much power you can get per dollar. They are the small block Chevy of the diesel truck world.

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, but if my truck blew it cookies, I'd consider a DT466. The thing that draws people to the Cummins is how much power you can get per dollar. They are the small block Chevy of the diesel truck world.

You would hard pressed to fit a DT466 in a pick up, that's a tall motor, and a little on the heavy side. It would be cool, no doubt! But hard to pull off. I would love to have a SD body, w/ Cummins power and Allison auto... like the one in "Diesel Power" mag a few years ago. That truck was badass in my book!!:cool:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I would love to have a SD body, w/ Cummins power and Allison auto... "

X2!!!!!!!:sweet

I've always said that would be the best combo imo. I think each truck has something to offer. Dodge has a good engine (so does Ford..dont get me wrong), cheve has a good automatic transmission, and Ford has a more eye appealing look and a good frame. I had a friend that had a 99-03 F350 dually 7.3....he said it has an Allison transmission. If it does then its the only one I've seen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58