why should i buy a ford sd ????

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 2500hd 6.6 duramax/6 speed . it runs flaw:dunno lessly..but... this 08 ford 450 sd looks better than any truck out there. however, i am a machanic by trade and i know the 6.0 diesel was the worst ever. their trannys are bad also. someone convince me so i can buy my favorite truck.

Only 3 posts? Immediately starts a quasi brand war?

I dunno guys :dunno ..... I smell a troll

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
As far as the Torqueshift transmission, I would put my stock one up against any stock dodge tranny, without hesitation, and it is every bit as good as a stock Allison 1000. I've got 38.5" tires, with 3.73 gears, and my truck is far from stock, making far more HP than stock, I've gone drag racing, I've towed over 20k lbs, and have 70k miles on the truck, and the stock transmission is holding up just fine.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Only 3 posts? Immediately starts a quasi brand war?

I dunno guys :dunno ..... I smell a troll

I am inclined to agree sawboy.
troll.gif

By the way, I love my 6.0 & torqshift tranny:sweet

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
i still like my 00 7.3:cool: dont get me wrong i still have my old chevys as well, when you have somethig good why change.

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 450 is an awesome truck. :notworthy You really need to make up your own mind because it would be your truck no one else's. Get unbiased opinions from consumer reports or car and driver. Each manufacturer has had problems and always will. Too many stories have been blown out of proportion such as the 6.0's problems or the duramax's problems. Go test drive one and if you like it buy it. I personally wouldn't buy or not buy a truck just on hear say, find out for yourself.

dougger222

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You should just keep your Isuzu powered pick up.

Injector issues,
: Tow Vehicles: Duramax problems

Here's a post from the other day from a guy who removed his broken Alison for good,
: Tow Vehicles: Pulled the Trigger on a Suncoast Tranny

Just a heads up. GM wanted to put an Allison in a GM pick up but didn't want to pay $5K for a real Allison so they decided to buy Allison for marketing reasons put the GM parts in an Allison case and slap an Allison badge on the door and charge $1,500-2K per tranny.

As far as reliability and gear ratios the 03.25+ Torqueshift is about the same as an Allison. Even the 48RE is a good tranny compared to the Allison.

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is always funny seeing how people respond to these types of questions. This is obviously an unbiased crowd. :lmao I guess I personally have a problem saying something bad about another brand of diesel I have never owned. If you wanted to you could find just as many head bolt and egr problems on the 6.0 as you can the d-max injectors. As far as the allison goes it is definitely stronger than any 4r100 from 01 with the diode problems. I could even find the article in diesel power about the guy with the 06 550 that pulled the 6.0 for a cummins. All vehicles are made by humans and thus are subject to problems. Oh and keep driving your International powered vehicle. Don't forget about the 7.3's CPS and the hub bearing and balljoint issues.

Last edited:

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my buddy has an 07 Durmax and as far as the truck goes. It goes. As far as styling it doesn't hold a candle to Fords Flame. Transmission in my 06 hasn't had a problem to speak of and it tows more than it is rated for like a charm. Had an EGR problem only after I tuned the thing to the hilt and pulled the 16500 trailer.
My 2 cents. Like this Guy is still paying attention.

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
well sry guys but to be honest i was always a die hard chevy guy and had the calvin pissin on the ford emblem and all that. that was when i just needed a regular ol gasser. then in 99 i bought a Z71 and just like most newr chevys they are ground huggers and had to spen $$$ to get it to go where i needed it. and the 4wd (elect.) i hated just a huge p.i.t.a. i was mising my 94 with the good ol 350 in it. then i started haulin bigger loads and needed a biger truck. right off the bat dodge is outta the question for me(just dont like em)- horrible interior sytling and noisey inside, ffront ends are horrible, auto trannies that i've seen sucked...........chevy's:too low and most of the other resons i said. they ride great but in my opinion are kinda city slicker trucks bells and whistles galore but too much electronics to mess up...ford: sits just right drives like a truck not a car, still solid axle, styling int. and ext., just enough goodies to like it and still hold up in a work and ranch atmosphere just fits...for me(have now owned 2 and dont think i will ever drive anything else) as stated above all about what fits your needs sorry kinda long

Last edited:

irish4x4

Mayor of Margaritaville
Reaction score
I sold my bow tie to get my blue oval and have not looked back. Although the guys at the alignment shop sure miss me. The independant fronts ride nice but they sure arent happy (in stock form) with 37's and 8" of lift. I love my solid axles!.........what smells like rat?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14