Wicked Wheel Installation

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I have a Wicked Wheel that I have been thinking about installing for about a month. I will get around to it one of these days and was just wondering if anyone had any tips? It looks as though the instructions that came with it are fairly good but there are always those "little secrets" that make the job easier. I have heard some guys say that you don't have to pull the turbo but most including the enclosed instructions say to remove it. What do you all think about turbo removal? Needed or not necessary?

Oboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I cant help you, just what is a Wicked Wheel anyway :confused: :dunno thats why I cant help you, I have no idea what it is!! :oops:

Mark

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
It is a turbo compressor wheel that gets rid of the surge/stall that is common in the 99-up superduty.

Max Power

Reaction score
Talk to BIG-JOE. Hopefully he will post here. He was planning on puting a DIY article together on this very subject.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Max Power said:
Talk to BIG-JOE. Hopefully he will post here. He was planning on puting a DIY article together on this very subject.
I may have to touch base with Joe as we pulled the turbocharger assembly out in December '02 to install our Wicked Wheel and have photos :cool:

Bill

Reaction score
Directly from Big Joe from a few years ago when I installed my wheel "without" removing the turbo. Worked great for me except for the first deal about removing that "e" clip. I removed the two little bolts instead of risking a lost "e" clip.

Ron

ll yer doing here is installing the Wheel ON the Turbo by "splitting" the TURBO, ON THE ENGINE without removeing it. Follow your directions to the REMOVING THE TURBO part. Then....

1. Dis-connect the wastegate linkage at the wastegate by removeing the "e" clip. (you'll need a mirror (to see it) and something to "pick" the "e" ring of with.

2. Remove the 8mm bolts that hold the Turbo housing halves together. You need a 4 " long 1/4" drive "wobbly" exstention to get the bottom back bolt out because of the valve cover.

3. Loosen the v-clamp that connects the Turbo outlet to the Y-pipe.

4. loosen the V-clamp from the down pipe, move it back and block it so the exhaust side of the Turbo is exsposed.

5. Split the Turbo Compresser housing exsposeing the Stock wheel.

6. Take a Break.

7. Take a screwdriver with tape wrapped around it and stick it in the exhaust end of the Turbo, catch one of the exhaust driven vanes (they are STEEL). Take a 5/8's wrench and remove the stock wheel (left to loosen). install the Wicked wheel. Snug it up tight but not to tight (10 inch lbs of torque) It is tightening it's self in it's direction of travel when the engine is running.

8. Reverse the procedures.

ALL THERE IS TO IT !

Again Ron, all yer do'n here is installing the new wheel ON THE ENGINE without REMOVEING the TURBO. If you remove the Turbo you will be doing all of the above but on your bench. but to get it off you have to deal with "O" rings and gaskets, bolts you can't see and a V'clamp that is a real bitch to R & R. The options are yours.

HINTS: take these instructions, look at yer engine a walk yourself through the steps BEFORE you start. Murphy's law sez, yer guna drop the "e" ring so get some spares before you start. I replaced the "e" clip with a SNAP RING. Use a rag to un-screw the wheel and screw on the Wicked wheel, the vanes are sharp as Razors.

GOOD LUCK .... Yer guna like that Wicked wheel !!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yip.... CRUMM, those'l work for ya... Ron (?) I updated those inst. some time back and have gone to the : Remove the 2 10MM bolts from the Wastegate Acuator and move it up, out of the way exsposeing the turbo.

Then Step 2.

JOE

Crumm or anyone else, that wants to do this install, this way... please feel free to Post or PM me with any questions.... Just did one this AM, took about an hour.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
An hour sounds good but I imagine it will take me a quite a bit longer. I hope to tackle the project in the near future so I will update here on just how long it took. Thanks for the instructions..

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg