wicked wheel?

cstewart

Cameron
Reaction score
i bought my truck about 6 months ago with just a lift and a k&n filter and dfuser 18k mod, well now ive done some more mods to "fix" what was previously done. while installing my ts chip i noticed there used to be a chip on there previously. what i want to know is ive read alot about turbo surge and even though i dont completely understand it i do not believe its happening to me and i'm pushin 30 psi. . is there a way to tell if there is a wicked wheel in it?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought my truck about 6 months ago with just a lift and a k&n filter and dfuser 18k mod, well now ive done some more mods to "fix" what was previously done. while installing my ts chip i noticed there used to be a chip on there previously. what i want to know is ive read alot about turbo surge and even though i dont completely understand it i do not believe its happening to me and i'm pushin 30 psi. . is there a way to tell if there is a wicked wheel in it?

Yes there is..Kindofa PIA to do but.. Take the intake (air horn) off of the turbo inlet so you can see the turbo vanes. If all the vanes are Flush and there are 9 vanes, you have the OEM (stock) compreesor wheel.

If every-other vane is shorter than the other.. and the are 10 vanes,, you have the early 99 compressor wheel.. AKA.. Wicked Wheel.

Joe

Seabass

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity does the 99 compressor wheel sound any different? There was a modded duty that roled through my nieghborhood and it wistled even at idle. wondering what it could have been.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity does the 99 compressor wheel sound any different? There was a modded duty that roled through my nieghborhood and it wistled even at idle. wondering what it could have been.

:dunno Never heard a stock PSD, Garrett turbo, with or without a Wicked Wheel wistle/whine @ idle. Musta been some bigger, aftermarket set-up ??

Anyone else ??????

Joe

Last edited:

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 97 with 6637 no cat or muff dumped in front of rear wheel whistles like crazy even at idle. My .02.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

6.0L trucks will whistle at idle especially with an open intake & exhaust.

I can say that my truck whistles at idle :D when I've run it without the downpipe on

hellums99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
"Wicked Wheel"

Pardon my ignorance...:notworthy
Is the "wicked wheel" something worth installling, or not?
Sorry but I am new to diesels... Always been a gasser mechanic.
I do understand the difference and how to tell which I have but did not know if the wicked wheel is something you want.
...Also, if it is something you want, will it fit on a "97 PSD?:dunno

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance...:notworthy
Is the "wicked wheel" something worth installling, or not?
Sorry but I am new to diesels... Always been a gasser mechanic.
I do understand the difference and how to tell which I have but did not know if the wicked wheel is something you want.
...Also, if it is something you want, will it fit on a "97 PSD?:dunno

you already have a WW on your 97....97 to early 99 came stock with a WW

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 97s have a wicked wheel in them already. The 99+ superdutys have a smaller turbo, so the WW helps that. Don't waste your $$$ on a WW if you have an OBS.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58