Winch

jguzman75

McAllen, Texas
Reaction score
I have seen on websites of 9000 or even 9500 working on SuperDuty trucks. Mile Marker 12000 is what I am probably going to go with and I would like to know everyones feedback if I could go with something smaller.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
You get the BIGGEST you can, because you dont' need them very often, but WHEN YOU do, you dont' want the WINCH to be the problem ;)

Elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jguzman75 said:
What if I used a snatch block to double the line pull?

Works fine, but it does cut your speed in half.
Remember that the rating, 9K or 12K, is only on the inner wrap of the cable. Most companies will give the ratings at each rap (check the fine print). I think BigK has the right idea. :)

Roland_Jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on how stuck you plan on getting. 15K would be the smallest on the assumption your truck weighs around 7,500# But anything is better than nothing.

My old chebby weighs about 6,800# more or less depending on how much fuel I have in the tanks and junk in the bed. Front winch is a warn 9,500 rear winch is a warn 8,000

So far that has been enough to get me out but it has been touch and go a couple of times. My front winch pulls much stronger than the rear.

Trouble with doubling your line is you will either have 125' or 85' of cable minus ½ If you have nothing to hook onto, a winch is useless.
Then again, some guy on Ebay is selling earth clamps . . .

Munkey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm going with a 15k Warn. I have a 8500# Milemarker on my Jeep. The MM winch has never let me down and has been good. Between my Jeep and my atvs which have 2500# winches on them for a machine that are only 700#s there has been many times it has taken at least 2 winches even with snatch blocks to get me out. With that being said I am going with the biggest winch I can put on it with proper mounting. Mostly if your ever going to go out with only 1 vehicle. If your going to spend $1200 on a 12k winch spend the extra couple hundred buck and get the 15k. All you will need it is once and you'll be happy you did.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Munkey said:
Mostly if your ever going to go out with only 1 vehicle. If your going to spend $1200 on a 12k winch spend the extra couple hundred buck and get the 15k. All you will need it is once and you'll be happy you did.

Or Spend a few more and get the bad boy 16.5ti! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg