Wind Deflector-or Not

goldhilljoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an older 5er that is high (ground clearance wise)for hunting,the springs are above the axles. Being older (88-6k#`s) it is not as aerodynamic as newer models, but works well for me. Will a deflector help(mounted at rear of cab)out in the wind resistance dept? I am getting 15 mpg towing. Reason I am asking is that when I am pulling a car hauler at around 10K I get 17(no wind resistance only weight). :dunno
Would appreciate hearing from those of you who have much more experience in the towing of 5ers than I. THANKS:thanks

Scot

;()
Reaction score
My humble opinion is, if you're getting that mileage already the wind deflector won't help enough to justify the cost. I pull a few different trailers some smaller and heavy, some larger and lighter. Anything over 5K regardless of size gets me the same mileage (12 if I keep it under 70)

Good luck

Scot

;()
Reaction score
My humble opinion is, if you're getting that mileage already the wind deflector won't help enough to justify the cost. I pull a few different trailers some smaller and heavy, some larger and lighter. Anything over 5K regardless of size gets me the same mileage (12 if I keep it under 70)

Good luck

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I worked for a large trucking co. I was told that the wind deflector on the big rigs give about 6% better MPG's. I have not heard any more about that in years. If you have it sat right they do a real good job of keeping the bugs off the front of the trailer.

goldhilljoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WD and Scot--Thanks for your imput.
WD- i agree--I:thumbs retired from a truck shop and that was my impression concerning the deflectors. Just don`t see many deflectors on RV`s. I guess they may not:dunno be effective on a 5er?
Thanks--Joe

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
www.irv2.com you'll see me and Powerboater there every now and then. They general concesos is.... They look kool...... and do a great job of keeping bugs off of the trailer..... then of course they are on the wing.... MPG improvements.... 99% of the fellas reporting no change... 1% stated they get 30 mpg while towing at 80 mph with 25,000 lbs gcw...... but only with the Chrome wing... not the fiberglass one... :-D

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frankenstien said:
www.irv2.com you'll see me and Powerboater there every now and then. 1% stated they get 30 mpg while towing at 80 mph with 25,000 lbs gcw...... but only with the Chrome wing... not the fiberglass one... :-D

:roflmao

Glad you made your decision already....friend of mine has one on the roof of his crewcab longbed 4x4....for coolness only.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
got to agree with the less dead bugs answer
as far as saving $$ in fuel
never had the extra cash to get one and see if the 2k could be recouped in mpg gained
we get 10 now at 75 pulling the monster
only stopped three times for fuel from north bama to north east texas
:D :D

your mileage seems pretty darn good
but the stainless ones do look excellent and probaly do increase the WOW factor of mpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg