Winter oil weight

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Well my truck is almost due for an engine oil change and winter is comin up. Well atleast colder weather is. I want to go ahead and put light weight oil in it. What are you supposed to run? Right now im runnin just motorcraft 15 40. It doesnt get super cold like it does up north here in ks but there are some mornings that it was well below freezing.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 5/40 Rotella T (full syn) year 'round out here. Temps from the Teens to 100+.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am in about the same boat that you are. When I first got my truck it would idle funny, surging. I switched to 5W40 and that fixed it. The 5 in the oil weight is the starting weight of the oil (cold) and the 40 is the running (warm) weight of the oil. Your truck will start much faster with the 5W40 oil. I am running synthetic oil also. Rotella T from Wal Mart for less than $20 per gallon. Check it out.

Dave ;tu

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this oil ok with towing a 38 foot race trailer

I've towed 12K pound, 32' 5r all over the Lower 48 with it.. in all kinds of weather and road conditions. Hot Shot'd a couple loaded 38 footers too. No issues.

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The only difference you would see is the easy cold start. The warm and hot running is the same as 15W40 oil.

Dave :)

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5w40 synthetic all year long up here. Starts are much improved, plus a little better fuel mileage. I tow lots of way too heavy stuff around the farm (18k+), no issues. Through oil tests I figured out I can extend changes to 10K miles, so oil ends up being about the same price as conventional changed at 5-7K.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58