Question Winter setup??? New to Diesels

Ramrod250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have never owned a diesel before and I am not sure what to do in the winter. The truck was built in KY and shipped to FL where it was driven for the first 3 years. I saw the truck for sale on auto trader and went and picked it up this last spring. It was a heck of a deal and we made a vacation out of the trip. Any way back to the truck.

This is what I have done so far…
-Oil change w/5w40 Mobil 1 Syn
-Rear diff oil W/75w140 Syn
-Changed both fuel filters
-2 1000 CCA batteries (gave me a slow crank one cool morning in the spring)
-Ordered a block heater (Did not come with one factory)

My drive every day is about 6 miles one way, half city half E-way. Is there any thing else I should be doing? Should I get a grill cover also? And at what Temp should I start using the block heater? How long does it need to be plugged in for before I leave for work? Should I plug in while I am at work cause I can if I need to. Ohio winter are usual not to cold (between 25 to 40 degrees) but last winter it was down to 0 with out wind-chill for quite a while. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Make sure you are using a good anti-gel additive in the fuel. Use it every fuel up with out fail. A winter front (grill cover) is nice as it can aid in warm up time. Plugging in for 4 hours is usually the minimum amount of warm up time you can get away with, get yourself a heavy duty timer that will energize the block heater extension cord about 4 or 5 hours prior to your expected get up and go time.

Diezel Dawg

vvv Real NW Truck
Reaction score
Ramrod,

Double check above the oil filter housing, these trucks came stock with a block heater. There should be a cord coming out of a heater element right above the housing, then follow the cord to the front of the truck.

I would say u shouldnt need to plug it in until about 20 degrees. U could go lower, but the easier they start the better IMO. Plug it in for about 3 hours for anything below 0 degrees. U could get a grille cover to help with engine warm up, double check your coolant and make sure u have the right mix for about 50 below or so. tho u wont need it for that tep, but it doesnt hurt it.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Look behind your left front Tow hook, this is where mine was stashed. (Block Heater Cord)

If you find the temp going into the teens for most of your winter driving go down to a 10-30 w oil, This will help in cold weather starting, or perhaps a synthetic if your Budget allows..... but as I typed this I see you've already gone that route. you should be fine for a lower 48 state truck. Alaska, Canadian Tundra the Grill Cover would be a must have, as well as synthetic oil.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
when it comes to plugging it in there is an issue of need and want that you need to sort out.....

-the truck needs to be plugged in at around 10*F
-at around 40* i would plug my truck in (on the timer, 3 hours before go time) because i WANTED heat for my drive to work.
with your drive of 6 miles, you truck will never warm up. my opinion would be to plug it in if the puddles are freezing. get the timer to keep your electric bill at bay. if you can plug it in for free at work without pissing people off...DO IT! :D

the blanket fronts are nice, but not needed. your truck will idle up when it gets cold, keeping the temps up. my OBS does not do that, wish it would.

welcome to the forum, look around you will find some good info here.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Is there any thing else I should be doing? Should I get a grill cover also? And at what Temp should I start using the block heater? How long does it need to be plugged in for before I leave for work? Should I plug in while I am at work cause I can if I need to. Ohio winter are usual not to cold (between 25 to 40 degrees) but last winter it was down to 0 with out wind-chill for quite a while. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
not really.. your climate isn't cold enough to warrant "real" precautions.. not like Crumm.. or even Mike (95 Stroker)
get a grille cover if you want, I don't use one, and I live about 300 miles NW of you..
I plug mine in when it starts getting around freezing, but it's a 1200watt heater, so a couple hours before you leave for work is sufficient... most guys on here have some type of timer set-up to click it on in the middle of the night.. I'm usually up once in the middle of the night to pee, so I flip it on then.

I DO plug mine in at work, but just because I can.

Last edited:

sawed off

Party like a rockstar
Reaction score
I always run #1 in mine in the winter, and power service anti gel. Had 2 close calls with runnin #2 and anti gel and I tell you what it scared the hell out of me! also a winter front would help so its not sucking in cold air. I still haven't used my plug in cord and haven't looked to see if it was their.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Your truck might not have a cord but the heating element usually is installed in all at the factory. It should be above the starter in a frost plug hole. You can get a cord at most parts stores for around 20 bucks. Same one as the big trucks use.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
ditto what f100 said...

ohio weather not to far off from us in MN. i believe (i'd have to do some searching to find my thread on the cord - i had to replace mine) i paid $20 at the international truck store. i don't use a front cover BUT do use the 'heavy duty' timer for when i plug it in. i also installed a 'hi idle' switch but w/ your short 6 mile commute, the engine may not get too warm. and yes, do look above the starter for a rubber cork looking thing w/ a threaded collar around it for the heater plug. if it has a cord great if not you can get one. send me a message and i can look it up for you if needed.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
on the 7.3's the block heater goes through the oil filter adapter

DO NOT start the truck with the heater plugged in, you WILL burn it out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg