Wiring Fault on Trailer --no trailer attached

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i hooked up my trailer to my buddys truck and the brakes work turn signals etc but when i hookd it up to my rig only the parking lights no signals etc whats goin on all my contacts are clean and i use wd-40 nothing changed whats the fix that the dealer does for it replace it ?

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no fix yet rusty ill will find out monday when i pull the trailer hopefully its the trailer but who knows ill keep yea posted

ajvolpe

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Trailer light problems

I have running lights and back up lights, but no brake or turn signal lights when using the 7 pin connector on my trailer w/brakes. When I hook up my 4 pin connector to my boat I have brake lights, no turn signals and only one tail light. When my buddy hooks up to my trailer, everything works fine. Got me!

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey ajvolpe I have running lights and no back up lights, no brake or turn signal lights when using the 7 pin connector on my trailer w/brakes. When I hook up my 4 pin connector to my smaller car hauler I have brake lights, turn signals and running lights . When my buddy hooks up to my trailer, everything works fine for my 4pin and 7 pin seems like my 7 pin is outta whack still i called the dealer today and they said drop it off for a day ill have the electrical guy check it out theres no recall on it and i dont wanna drop it off for the whole day cuz i need the truck and i got dpf/cat delete and im sure its something i could fix this is bs so many little things gettin sick of this you get a fix for yours yet ?

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the good ol' "Faulty Trailer Wiring Module" warning yesterday while riding around. Kinda strange, haven't had the truck in any water/mud, and haven't had a trailer (4 or 7 pin) connected to it in weeks? I didn't think much about it at first 'cause I'd read several people on here had the same problem and knew that it was not unheard of w/ the '08s..... then.... my cruise control stopped working? I'm guessing one probably caused the other somehow, maybe a short in the system somewhere?

I'm going to take it in Monday morning and let them look at it, along with that pesky "clicking" noise in the dash. I've tried to carry it to the dealer several times, but the truck somehow knows when I'm close to the shop and it refuses to make the noise. Hopefully the cruise and trailer wiring issue is just a fuse and can be fixed fairly easily. I'll post as soon as I hear something.

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Results!

I finally got my truck back from the shop yesterday. Here is what was on the printout they gave me:

Trailer brake system- error code C2803- Replaced faulty brake press transducer at bottom of brake master cylinder.

Cruise control- error code P0703- Replaced erratic brake switch at pedal and replaced leaking/erratic deactivation switch under brake master cylinder.

They called earlier this week and asked, "We noticed that you have an aftermarket alarm installed. Did the problems with the cruise control start before or after you had this installed?" I told them that it did it once before in December (before the alarm was installed), but it started working again and has until now. I was telling the truth, but he didn't sound like he believed me... I just knew they were going to blame the alarm and try to make me pay (or worse-say they were going to void my warranty). :rant

Everything worked out (this time) and it was all covered under warranty after they found the faulty cruise deactivation switch. But it worries me that from now on, anything/everything will be somehow blamed on the alarm? I guess I might have to start hunting another dealer to do my repairs. :dunno

I'm not planning to give up my warranty without one helluva fight! :boxing

SpideyK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Bad wiring from factory

If you are getting this fault all the time it is the wiring harness under the box. They changed 2 trailer connectors and then the whole harness under the box the 3rd time with another trailer connector. It is a problem from corrosion in the wires from the factory.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64