wiring question

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
ok, bare with me....

I have a 3 position switch that has power in all three positions. I want to be able to turn the power off/on. So, can I add a 2nd on/off only switch and run a single power wire from the source, to my on/off (in to one terminal and out the other), then to the 3 position? If so, do I ground both or only one (in which case, which one)?

Thanks guys!

Elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I understand this correctly the answers are yes and both. But I'd wait for a real electrician to answer. :D

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm by no means an electrician, but I think you'd just ground the second switch.

That's assuming that the first switch is just your basic on/off two terminal switch.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I'm by no means an electrician, but I think you'd just ground the second switch.

That's assuming that the first switch is just your basic on/off two terminal switch.

no electrician either, but my thinkin tells me to ground both switches.

just my redneck opinion (JMRNO)

and wouldn't you want both switches to be an on/off, but still have aground? right?

the switches i use for my lights are on/off, but have a ground terminal as well.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess another question is where does the 3way switch get its power
from...it sounds odd to me that a 3 position switch would have power
on ALL the terminals all the time.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
well the longer version is - I am going to wire up the ebpv as an exhaust brake as described via a link on Joat's website - 3 position - On, OE setting, brake - so all three positions have a power supply. I, in my usual desire to do things the hard way, want a 4th position that will simply turn the ebpv off entirely. Rather than trying a 4 position switch that will require a dial type I figured I could simply use the described 3 position and add another 2 position off/on switch that would supply or prevent power to the 3 position. It means having 2 switches but that's ok with me.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
ok, someone out there knows the answer to this simple question. How about a little help?

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Ok I am gonna give this a shot. Wire the three way switch up just like in the directions. On the EPBV there is two wires that connect into it at the turbo pedistal base. The only way to turn it off completely is to break the power. I will be back in a few, class is starting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58