Would you use

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
Well, someone has some ot the solutions to some of our toughest questions. Which came first, the chicken or the egg. You can't produce bio diesel with out a start someplace. You are right in that all forms of motive power used for bio diesel should be powered by bio diesel, but it is not always the case. We have to take what we have as a start. Don't get to caught up in all of the politics, as others are. (/steps off soap box/)

Dave

He climbs up on the exalted box of soap

We do have to focus on the politics. IF we do not get the ones we vote for to push bio fuels. Nothing will change. as awful as it sounds we need to be a thorn in the side of every LAWMAKER until the laws/rules/initiatives :deal are passed to ensure bio fuels are mandated, marketed etc and at a reasonable time frame.
write letters, make phone calls. get on OPRAH, Fox news .
Jay Leno,
We must stop being lemmings

He climbs back down and resumes the normal day of life

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I have a question that gets inconsistent answers - I have asked this here before too so I guess Im looking for more of a consensus -

Mobey suggests (I guess) simply pouring pure soy oil into the tank along with the diesel. I had hoped to do this sort of thing with cotton seed oil because we produce so much around here. I wrote the national biodiesel group (biodiesel.org) and they wrote back saying not to pour any straight oil into diesel. I realize they advocate actually brewing biodiesel but what is the straight answer? Can I or can I not?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i asked the same thing about peanut oil
I routinely filter used turkey frying oil and dilute it 5:1 with #2 fuel and burn it just fine.
and i dilute it mainly to reduce the viscosity to that which approximates the #2 fuel

works just fine and i assume cottonseed oil would be about the same, except i know i read somewheres about cotton seed oil having a propery which caused injector problems under high presure. but i have looked now for a few days and still cant seem to find it exactly

read the link
http://www.me.iastate.edu/biodiesel/Pages/A.html
http://www.me.iastate.edu/biodiesel/Pages/biodiesel1.html
we can use cottoen seed oil, just dilute it first according to these folks

http://www.me.iastate.edu/biodiesel/Technical Papers/Papers_link.htm

Admins
can we move this over to the bio fuel forum?

Last edited:

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in Arkansas the farmers are starting to use BioDiesel. They grow the soybeans themselves ya know.

Quality and consistancy has been an issue, so I"m not sure how that's going. Plus running straight bio fuel requires two different tanks (since you need to swap to pure bean oil once it's at full running temp - but you can't start the vehicle on bean oil).

There's a bio fuel joint in Stuttgart - but as long as it's MORE than dino fuel it'll be a hard sell methinks.

Economics will be the primary driver on this one. But I also read about doing the recycled oil yourself vs. buying fresh bio diesel. That perhaps will the tipping point on bio fuels.

I suspect though that the major oil companies are indeed keeping an eye on this and no matter the cost of bio diesel the cost of dino will always be just a little less. And let's not forget that big oil has really good friends in the administration now.

Plus - can you guys handle your exhaust smelling like french fries? How many folks will get the munchies driving around?

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
so do you just pour the oil in on top of a partial tank of diesel or do you premix and store it somewhere. The logistics at this point in my life are likely too involved. Once I get settled in a longterm home I hope to look into it more.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
. The big oil companies are skiddish because it makes them less of a force in the market place. in their minds... you got old foaggies in charge of these oil companies, they are not going to change.
Thee above, purdy much sez it all.

But I would add: The >>RICH<<... old foaggies. The RICH old foaggies that are the King Pins of the PACs & SIGs, who are the Puppeteers of the perpetual "Punch and Judy Show", inside the Beltway, in DC. Who are Also Scripted by "Off Shore" interests.

Okay.... thats my RANT

(I'm beginning to understand why my Dad would Lament: This World is go'n in the Toilet)

Part of life on this Planet.... I guess.

Joe

Term Limits ? Anyone ?

OBTW..... YES, I would use BIO... Even at a bit higher cost... IF i could find it out here. (I think the above applies tho)

Last edited:

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can find Bio anywhere there is restaurant that fries anything. It is, after all, vegatable/peanut oil.

But it is rather do it yourself. But you can't beat the price.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Mobeydick said:
If I were to tell you that Bio-Diesel made with (SVO-VVO) Virgin Vegetable OIL would only cost you 10 cent more that Regular Diesel, Would you use it?
I would type yes 10,000 times, but I won't. I think you get the picture...

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I would use it! B20 is 10 cents or so more here than #2. I don't trust the supply after getting fry daddy residue on my first fill from them.:rolleyes:

The oil refineries owned by oil companies aren't set up to produce Bio I would think. Besides pocket lining going on.

Some farmers do use biodiesel. But if you have new equipment under warranty or you lease, you can only use B5 from what my salesman tells me. Heck John Deere rolled off their first tractor filled with B5 last year I think.

We like the renewable resource and when my family becomes bean producers for Big Daddy Biodiesel I'll know a little more. I'm going to tour the sugar beet plant while it's being converted.:D I'm even trying to become a distributor for some farming friends of mine.

I don't think I would just mix some soy bean oil with #2 and pour it in the tank. I would at least like to test it before using it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58