Wrong Factory Fuel Tank

TRH

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think my 2005 F350 CrewCab Long Bed King Ranch Powerstroke Diesel has the wrong factory fuel tank installed. I believe it should have a 38 gallon tank. I have yet to get more than 32 gallons in it even after I run it to 0 miles on the miles to empty meter. There can't be a 6 gallon reserve, can there? I'm guessing that a 29 gallon tank was installed & I'm squeeking in an extra 2-3 gallons by topping it off.
Not that I'm interested in paying for more diesel to go in my truck ($107 to fill up this am!) - but I would like to have what I expected & what I paid for. Any suggestions? The service guys basically ignored me when I asked about the possibility of an undersized tank installation at the factory.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im fairly confident you have the correct sized tank. Even with my Harpooned shortbed tank, Im lucky to get 30 gals in it.

Diesel foams up, and the vent tube inside our tanks dips VERY low into the tank and causes us fillup problems. It could take you an additional 5 to 10 mins to truly fill it up all the way!

Hence the need to "harpoon" the tank. Drop it, remove the fuel pickup, reach inside and CUT THAT DAMN VENT TUBE OFF!!

http://forgotton.net/diesel/intank/index.htm

Try that link for a little explanation and pics.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Monday I put in 30.04 gallons. i was at just above an 1/8 tank and filled it till i had clear fuel at the rim of the neck
and i have a long bed 37 gall tank
I beleive there is a big reserve design to protect us from our selves
TRH said:
I think my 2005 F350 CrewCab Long Bed King Ranch Powerstroke Diesel has the wrong factory fuel tank installed. I believe it should have a 38 gallon tank. I have yet to get more than 32 gallons in it even after I run it to 0 miles on the miles to empty meter. There can't be a 6 gallon reserve, can there? I'm guessing that a 29 gallon tank was installed & I'm squeeking in an extra 2-3 gallons by topping it off.
Not that I'm interested in paying for more diesel to go in my truck ($107 to fill up this am!) - but I would like to have what I expected & what I paid for. Any suggestions? The service guys basically ignored me when I asked about the possibility of an undersized tank installation at the factory.

JIM_C

Turbo Lover
Reaction score
Take some measurements and do summa dat there math stuff.
Or if you're lazy like me, use the volume conversion tools on the net.
http://abe.msstate.edu/~fto/tools/vol/box.html will calculate cubic units (presumably inches). Then click on "go to conversion page" at the bottom. Click on "volume" and enter the cubic inch total into the "cubic inches" box and then click "calculate" at the bottom. It will spit back all kinds of conversions; U.S. gallons is right below cubic inches. That should give you a good ballpark estimate. ..........JIM

threejacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The service guys basically ignored me when I asked about the possibility of an undersized tank installation at the factory.

The Factory has been known to install the wrong item. In the late seventies, I bought my first F350. Constant overheating problems. Dealer said drive it!
After third engine, service manager "rechecked radiator" , it was one for a F150. Brackets were the same. Heavy duty radiator overlaped brackets, light duty for F150 fit inside mounting brackets. One more new engine. Truck way out of warranty, but problem started when truck was brand new, dealer took care of me.

Trapper77

2003 Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2003 F350 with the big tank and I pretty consistently get 33-35 gallons in my tank and we don't pump our own here in Oregon. The guy shuts it off after it hits the first click and then rounds up to the nearest dollar. In Washington I was able to put 36-37 in no problem filling it myself.

Trapper

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trapper:

Im like 90% sure you are allowed to pump your own diesel in OR. Its only the gasoline they dont let you pump. Some "loophole" in the law I guess.

At least this is what I was told by the station guy when I pulled up to the diesel pump and he said pump it myself.

Its funny to watch OR ppl come up to WA and they really truly dont know how to pump their own gas. Its amusing, until you realize they are holding up the line....and your IN that line.

I always like to screw with the OR guys. I wont let them pump even my gas vehicles. I point to the WA license plate and tell them that in order to get that plate, you have to be certified to pump your own gas :D :D :D

Trapper77

2003 Owner
Reaction score
I know that you can pump it but why would you? I don't want to go outside in the freezing cold and rain when they have some high school kid out there for me :sweet .

Trapper

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its my truck, and no one touches it if I have the choice in the matter.

One of the portland TV stations just lost a multi-million dollar broadcast ENG truck because the moron kid at the pump opened the wrong side door and instead of filling the tank, they filled the CARGO AREA full of fuel. They noticed it when it started running out the back of the cargo area.

Granted, I dont have any "additional" panels on the side of my truck, it does tell you the mental capacity of the guy pumping fuel into your truck.

Trapper77

2003 Owner
Reaction score
Most of the kids pumping gas at the stations I have had in class with me being a high school teacher. They make extra sure they don't spill any on my rig and I also get my windshield washed. I trust them. I pay real close attention when I go out of town though ;) .

Trapper

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58