WW install - 2000 Excursion

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
WW install - 2000 Excursion Updated!

I followed Whata's WIKI article on turbo removal along with Big Joe's DIY article, Thanks Guys! Worked great and couldn't have done it without it. Thanks! This is a great mod to make you smile if you like whine. I did the on truck mod. It defintely was needed after the AFE II and 4". X feels like it should again and gas pedal doesn't feel as dead. Spools up real nice and quick. First tank of gas MPG +1 or 2. I hope it is true, even with my testing the new WW. I would recommend 2 people, just for tools, suggestions and someone to give you a break 3-8hrs and $70.

Replace any oil plugs you remove ASAP (temporar=yly till you need it out again), and make sure you have a 1/4" drive - 5/16 12pt. from sears. $1.99. I removed the bolts behind the wastegate and moved it over because I couldn't get to the C-clip. It was easy. To drop the exhaust, felt like I would ahve to use a pry bar, Just get under the truck and start at the motor go towards the back until you find the first exhaust bracket under the passenger door. It simply pulls out of the bushing and then let it drop under the frame (it give you about 6", which was plenty) Take time to clean then go for a ride and enjoy.

Low Cost
6-8 difficulty
Great benefits:thumbs

Do the HP-X at the same time 15mins and $50. It made a huge difference also.

thanks to Tech support being online that day!

Brett

Last edited:

stroke_smoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about the 5/16, not. on the one i helped with it sliped and almost rounded the bolt. they are 8mm. not 5/16. are they diffrent from one year to the next?

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
No they are 8mm but I spent half a day driving to every tool place in Dallas looking for a 8mm 12pt 1/4 drive and could not fing one unless I bought an entire set and and I don't need any more tools at this point. I haven't had any issues with the 5/16, but then again I realize that its not exactly the correct socket and I make sure its seated fully before cranking on it.:thumbs

Brett that learning curve was in full effect, you'll probably do the next one in half the time.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stroke_smoke said:
about the 5/16, not. on the one i helped with it sliped and almost rounded the bolt. they are 8mm. not 5/16. are they diffrent from one year to the next?

If you used my "How To" directions, It's not the 15/16 ~ 8mm so much as it's the >12 point< thing. As budro sez, and I agree.... I'm not so sure they make a 12 pt. 8MM. If they do, I aint found one yet.

A 12 pt. WILL get on that back lower turbo bolt..... an 8mm prolly won't. As for slipping ? I just break the bolt loose with the 12 pt, then finger it the rest of the way out.

I've got a 3/8s Ratchet (made by Stanley) that not only ratchets but you can twist the handle and turn a bolt.... handy in tight spots.

On all the WWs i've installed..... The turbo houseing bolts ARE 8mm.

:dunno

JOE

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:
A 12 pt. WILL get on that back lower turbo bolt..... an 8mm prolly won't. As for slipping ? I just break the bolt loose with the 12 pt, then finger it the rest of the way out.

I've got a 3/8s Ratchet (made by Stanley) that not only ratchets but you can twist the handle and turn a bolt.... handy in tight spots.

On all the WWs i've installed..... The turbo houseing bolts ARE 8mm.

:dunno

JOE

I used a stubby 5/16" box-end wrench on the back lower turbo bolt and it worked a lot easier than a socket/extension/universal combo.

stroke_smoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ace hardware sells 12pt 8mm but in 3/8 drive. it fit in REAL snug against the housing but worked.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I found lots of 3/8 drive but I didn't think there was enough room to get a 3/8 with a swivel on the bottom bolt. Off the motor would work fine but I don't see how it can be done on the motor with a 3/8

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
I found lots of 3/8 drive but I didn't think there was enough room to get a 3/8 with a swivel on the bottom bolt. Off the motor would work fine but I don't see how it can be done on the motor with a 3/8

Prolly several ways of doing this, depending on our personal collection of tools.

What I do these days is: Break them ALL loose with 1/4" drive, 5/16s... then back them all out with a purdy torque'y B&D drill/driver with a 4" flex exst.

I Have used that 3/8 ratchet with a 1/4" adaptor and a 6" flexable exstention. The twist capability is a plus, but still kind of a PIA.

It sure has come in handy in alot of other uses tho. (the 2 bolts on the W/gate actuator, the water drain valve....other "No Room" stuff?)

JOE

I'm headed to ACE after work, for that 12 pt. 8mm ;)

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I have a handy little tool I fabbed for removing the c-clip from the wastegate rod, so I don't have to fight those two nuts/bolts whatever they are.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
I have a handy little tool I fabbed for removing the c-clip from the wastegate rod, so I don't have to fight those two nuts/bolts whatever they are.

Whadja Fab up ??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58