Yaesu vs Icom radios

rvassar

Refugee from California
Reaction score
Seeking Political Assylum in Central Texas!
I use Yaesu on HF, and Alinco on VHF/UHF.

Yea... I'm cheap. I always have trouble getting funding approval from the boss for radio stuff. :dunno

Icom makes good kit, as does Yaesu. My Alinco is 15 years old, and still going.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
rvassar said:
I use Yaesu on HF, and Alinco on VHF/UHF.

Yea... I'm cheap. I always have trouble getting funding approval from the boss for radio stuff. :dunno

Icom makes good kit, as does Yaesu. My Alinco is 15 years old, and still going.
Nothing wrong with Alinco stuff till you start modifying them ;)

Since you're a fellow Ham I'm sure you'll have the electronics tool box loaded too :sweet

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
I'm surprised ya'll don't use Low Band radios for the vast distances ya'll cover up there
Fill me in? I have the channel names rather than numbers programmed into the display but I seem to recall that our company channels are like 159.??? and 155.???. What is Low Band? We can talk to the terminal base station for about 60 miles no matter what the terrain and up to 100 miles if you hit a hilltop. The range from mobile unit to mobile unit varies with the terrain but even on flat ground 30 miles or so is the limit. It would be nice to cover more distance but I though a repeater was the only way to accomplish that.

By the way I have a book called Now You're Talking. The front of it says "All you need for your amateur radio license". I haven't read it yet but I have thought about reading it if that counts.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Crumm said:
Fill me in? I have the channel names rather than numbers programmed into the display but I seem to recall that our company channels are like 159.??? and 155.???. What is Low Band? We can talk to the terminal base station for about 60 miles no matter what the terrain and up to 100 miles if you hit a hilltop. The range from mobile unit to mobile unit varies with the terrain but even on flat ground 30 miles or so is the limit. It would be nice to cover more distance but I though a repeater was the only way to accomplish that.

By the way I have a book called Now You're Talking. The front of it says "All you need for your amateur radio license". I haven't read it yet but I have thought about reading it if that counts.
The VHF Low Band area is in the 30-50 Mhz area,your company radios are on VHF High band 150-174 Mhz. :cool:

VHF High will cover great distances with the proper radio/antenna combination but repeaters really carry the signal,I have a couple radios programmed up in the High band and get a good 20-30 miles easy between car and truck.

VHF Low Band will just about transmit thru mountains which is why California Highway Patrol is sticking to their tried and true 39/42 MHz radio system for the great distance it covers especially for the resident post patrolmen.

Yup you have the right book on hand,it should be the 5th edition/version for most current info on testing Q&A :sweet

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Yup you have the right book on hand,it should be the 5th edition/version for most current info on testing Q&A :sweet
Thats the one. I might get around to reading it after my eye doctor app. next Wednesday. ;)

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Crumm said:
Thats the one. I might get around to reading it after my eye doctor app. next Wednesday. ;)
Also swing by QRZ to take the Technician Class practice tests,they can be very helpful in addition to the book studies :)

rvassar

Refugee from California
Reaction score
Seeking Political Assylum in Central Texas!
CHPMustang said:
Nothing wrong with Alinco stuff till you start modifying them ;)

M'oi? I've never had any trouble. :rolleyes:

Since you're a fellow Ham I'm sure you'll have the electronics tool box loaded too :sweet

Well... I'm going to leave the MCS-51 development gear, eprom programmer, & wire wrap tools at home. I don't think I'll need to build a custom PCM on the side of the road. I hope. :eek:

Actually... I'll probably just nab the 2m and go. There's a lot of empty land on NM & AZ, and not a lot to do... -popcorn

CHPMustang

Reaction score
One can stay on a single repeater from Phoenix all the way into New Mexico and El Paso,gotta love them mountain tops!

There's usually someone on 146.52 monitoring in Tucson and a couple Echolink nodes there as well :sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64