ZZZzzzZZzZz

racerx250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks again I have not slept.due to this great site!

My buddy is head mech at a oil delivery co. He advised me to first do all the regular maint... my self from fluids to wheel bearings& grease ubolts. Now he also tells me that my 97 with 197k since always running stock should remain that way and by installing a K&N, and 4"exhaust willl cause internal parts to give me problems because of the added power.

Let the answers rip:rant

Need to get up in 2 hours to work! :tongue2 good night and :thanks

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
The K&N will cause internal parts to fail due to the contaminants that they let through. Go with a better filter.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
install some gauges, then open up the exhaust.
stay away from a "free" breathing (dirt passing) air filter !

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'v been a K&N fan for many years, but not for the stock FORD/HI 7.3 intake and filter design/set-up. These things Gulp alot of air. The K&N just does'nt filter it properly.

First Mod should be a set of guages. IMO

My .03

racerx250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Then?

AFE air filter kit,,,, Although the K& N complete kit has an adapter for the filter gauge to be installed on the end and a ready made hole for the Air Temp Sensor.

Can I go air kit. and wait 2 months for the exhaust (turbo back or cat back)system?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think youre missing the point...DONT CHANGE THE FILTER...
passing any more air will only pass more DIRT/SAND etc...and it
will eventually wear the fins of the compressor...which is the 1st thing
in the path AFTER the filter.

GAUGES 1st
then Exhaust

racerx250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Not this one ?

I'am lost here..........many people on this site buy a used F-250 7.3L...and the first thng every one says is make it breath better.

K&N FIPK Air Intake

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
NO K&N!!!!!...no no no....no....K&N=bad news....

get yourself a set of gauges and open up the exhaust...it's ok to make it breath better just stay away from "K&N"...there are other intakes out there that will do the trick without harming your truck!!!!

We aren't trying to be rude we just know from experience!..good look as you start PMS...(powerstroke modification syndrome) :thumbs

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'am lost here..........many people on this site buy a used F-250 7.3L...and the first thng every one says is make it breath better.

K&N FIPK Air Intake

you asked...we answered....go buy what you wanted all along

racerx250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Banks Rep

Banks Rep.....Just called me in ref to my e-mail for air filters.... for my year F250...
Basically I told him alot of people were on a forum talking threads about the Drop-in K&N air Filter and the dirt being pulled in. Told me they never had a problem with customers. Found that hard to believe over the info here on SDD.com Then he went on to tell me that 197k is not a great deal of miles on a 97 F250. Also that year has a very good design for the stock air box. He advised me that it would be Ok to change-out the airfilter w/out doing the exhaust, for now. But to really look in to the turbo down pipe being replaced because of its restrictive flattened design.....

The previous owner did open up the plastic extension that attaches foward of the filter box, with a dremel.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58