ZZZzzzZZzZz

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks Rep.....Just called me in ref to my e-mail for air filters.... for my year F250...
Basically I told him alot of people were on a forum talking threads about the Drop-in K&N air Filter and the dirt being pulled in. Told me they never had a problem with customers. Found that hard to believe over the info here on SDD.com Then he went on to tell me that 197k is not a great deal of miles on a 97 F250. Also that year has a very good design for the stock air box. He advised me that it would be Ok to change-out the airfilter w/out doing the exhaust, for now. But to really look in to the turbo down pipe being replaced because of its restrictive flattened design.....

The previous owner did open up the plastic extension that attaches foward of the filter box, with a dremel.

well there ya go...thats the info you REALLY wanted to hear...

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Also that year has a very good design for the stock air box.
He must be new. The stock air box on the 94-97' trucks are known to fail. There was a recall on the lid back in the late 90's as they were letting in dirt. There are many other filter systems out there that are much better than the K&N. Most guys with the OBS trucks go with the Tymar system or a do-it-yourself system that replicates the Tymar. AFE is another good choice. You can check out the AFE at dieselsite.com. There is a write-up in the wiki about the diy system. You can see the Tymar intake by clicking here. If you are set on the K&N then go with it, some guys like them but you are not going to convince most of us that they are worth a dime. They let more dirt through than any other filter on the market but they do let lots of air through too.

He was right about the down-pipe. The stock pipe is very restrictive. DPPI offers a good downpipe for a reasonable price.
5007395.jpg

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
the dyi intake is even better than the k&n except for the reuseable part just dont get it wet, not a problem for me here?!?!?!,

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
K&N air filters are performance filters, Sure they will let in more air, but they will also let in more dirt. Most guys on these site are looking for performance AND longevity for their trucks. K&N filters are meant for race cars that spend very little time on dirt roads. A large paper filter will filter all the air you need. just my$.02

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plenty of racers dont even USE filters...but then they only need the
motor to last ONE race.

i cant speak for the 'old' 7.3 but no one has been able to prove
that the filter on the 6.0 is a choke point...even in a mildly modified
motor.

you can EXPECT every vendor to tell you theres NEVER BEEN A PROBLEM
using their products...cause theyre incented to SELL their product...AND
theyre not the ones who have to REPAIR YOUR MOTOR.

and dont even TRY to tell us about the MOSS MAGNUSON ACT...not 'round
here...call mr. banks and company...ask 'em for PROOF that theyve
stood behind <and come to the legal defense> an OWNER / USER of their
products....g'head i dare you to ask 'em...in a warranty dispute w/ the
mfg how many times have they ASSISTED an owner in obtaining
warranty repairs when the dealer or mfg blamed the failure on one of
their products... <let me give you a hint here...dont hold your breath
waiting for an answer or PROOF>

racerx250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Then

AFE . Being open air with a partial box can it get wet in a bad snow / or rain/ storm ? Is this when I install the pre-filter..?

BTW Note : K&N makes the #1 aftermarket ATV airfilter out side of Saturn. How do we know ... real /uesers/ riders/ out on the mx track or GNCC(cross-country) racing! So if AFE can get wet than I will pay $102 more for the AFE condidering this is Kill K&N WEEK ! :eek:

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
I've never had my air filter get wet. Do the DIY air filter. It's cheep, works well, and your truck will thank you.
K&N makes the #1 aftermarket ATV airfilter out side of Saturn. How do we know ... real /uesers/ riders/ out on the mx track or GNCC(cross-country) racing!
again... on the track. We're not talking 200-300 thousand miles here.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ - let 'em go...he knows what he wants already...let 'em buy and
figure it out for 'emself.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
BTW Note : K&N makes the #1 aftermarket ATV airfilter out side of Saturn.

Correct me if im wrong...but we are talking about using a K&N on your powerstroke...not your 4-wheeler...right?....

One last time....the people on this site...are telling you this because they KNOW from experience how K&N holds up in their TRUCKS!!!!

we're just trying to help:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58