Help Needed 04 F-250 Dead

superduty10

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No progress as of yet I have been really busy and havnt messed with it.
I did listen for fuel pump in tank but all I can hear is a noise by the fuel filter on the frame.
Let me know of anything elseI might have to pull the fuel tank to check that pump. Thanks Randy

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
from experience batts might be bad even if it cranks it may not have enough voltage for the eletronics to start try jumping this may sound strange but it will rule out batts or load test.

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when my 05 6.0 died like that, it did the same thing, just died and would crank, but not start. it did not throw any codes either. I finally got it to throw a code for the dealer by getting it to crack over on ether...I think it was just the ipr, but the dealer replaced both the hpop and the ipr. runs fine now 12k later, and now that the parts warranty is up, I thoroughly expect it to go again anyday.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Be careful using ether. There are heaters (glow plugs) in the engine and they may/will cause an explosion. If your batteries cannot crank the engine fast enough, 450 rpms I think, then the PCM will not fire the injectors. Getting it to turn is one thing, getting it to turn over fast enough will require new batteries or a GOOD jump. If you are not going to put in the effort, it will sit.

Dave

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ether or "starting fluid" is a perfectly legitimate way to start a diesel...They even have a tube into the airbox to spray it in. and it says it is ok in the manual. anyway this will only fire up the engine for a second, long enough to throw a code in my case. explosion? r u talking a pre-explosion on the intake stroke? I dont think a glow plug would be enough to ignite anything, not for the short length of exposure between when the valve ovens to suck in air and it shuts to begin compression. not till it becomes pressurixed to 2000 psi:D then it's a different story, but then the explosion would be running your engine. just dont be puddling the stuff in your intake. it only takes a little. I would try it.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have seen explosions. Yes, the guy used too much ether. It is your truck and you can do what you like.

Dave

superduty10

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had a guy from Ford come over with his computer and track the problem to the oil pump which is 1200.00 but luckily that part is still in the five year warranty. The dealer is fixing it Monday.
Thanks so much to everyone for all the input.;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58