'04 will not start

mantis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The Batts should show 13+ static, 14+ running. How old are they ??

I'd get them [EACH] Load tested.

I wouldn't be thinking HPOP.. just yet.

I don't know how old they are.I bought the truck a year ago in August.They are CAT batts.Could this be the problem even tho in cranks fine?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
YES!!! Batteries are the NUMBER ONE problem when the weather gets cold. It does not matter whose batteries they are. Get them load tested and have EACH one tested separately. If one is going south, replace them BOTH. What you have here is one battery in two places.

Dave :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES!!! Batteries are the NUMBER ONE problem when the weather gets cold. It does not matter whose batteries they are. Get them load tested and have EACH one tested separately. If one is going south, replace them BOTH. What you have here is one battery in two places.

Dave :)[/QUOT

What Dave said, X2.

I don't know how old they are.I bought the truck a year ago in August.They are CAT batts.Could this be the problem even tho in cranks fine?

Yes. It may crank fine.. but cranking can reduce the Volts & Amps needed to actually Fire up. (PCM related stuff).

mantis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

Dave :)[/QUOT

What Dave said, X2.

Yes. It may crank fine.. but cranking can reduce the Volts & Amps needed to actually Fire up. (PCM related stuff).

I am going to get them tested tomorrow.Would bad Batteries cause it to run poorly? Like skip

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to get them tested tomorrow.

Would bad Batteries cause it to run poorly? Like skip

Be sure they disconnect'm so they are EACH.. "Stand Alone".. when they test'm ?

Hard to say. Just an opinion but, Marginal-Weak volts/amps can cause All Kinds of Gremlins theze dayz.. now that everything is Computer Controlled.

Last edited:

mantis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Be sure they disconnect'm so they are EACH.. "Stand Alone".. when they test'm ?

Hard to say. Just an opinion but, Marginal-Weak volts/amps can cause All Kinds of Gremlins theze dayz.. now that everything is Computer Controlled.

I will have to take them out anyway,because it would be easier then pushing the truck:D

mantis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well this sucks! My '04 has an '03 engine in it.I went to check the ICP but it isn't located on the valve cover.I was going to disconnect that to see if I have a faulty sensor. I crawled under the truck and there seems to be alot of oil leaking someplace.The Batteries seem to be holding fine.Any other suggestions.The fuel bowl is full.Filters are only a few months old.
Is there anyway to check the glow plugs without a tester?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes, use an ohm meter on each one. Should be around 1 ohm if it is good. Open or greater than 2 ohm if it is bad

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58