'06 oil leak

Suprob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My '06 SD is leaking in an area that seems to be a rear main. I was told by the dealership that the truck could be leaking from the rear main or an o-ring at an injecter. Is this a load of crap? I will be honest with you the lot was full of diesels when I went down there. I am wondering if this is a big probelm with this batch of motors? They have put dye in it to try and localize the leak. Also, they tell me that even if it is a rear main that they can likely turn it over in a day. I guess that is why they get paid the big bucks.

Ho, Ho, Ho

Rob

Scot

;()
Reaction score
DON"T panic. Most oil leaks on these motors will show oil in the area of the "rear main" or bell housing area That's just where gravity takes it. I have had leaks in 6-7 different locations that eventually become a bell housing drip. I'm not sure what the part is called but my last one came from the blue outlet on the turbo. I've had them on many different sensors & the bed plate also. Just let them do their job of "Dye" and locate. Most of the time it has nothing to do with the rear main.

take a look here. :santa3

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/photographs/index3.php

Suprob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I hope that they find it and can deal with it in quick time. This is the truck that moves my crew and I am really at a loss w/o it. I hope that whatever the probelm is that I get it back in a day or so. Two days is really going to cost me.

Rob

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
It might be something as simple as excess assembly lube. They must pay the guys at International based on how much they use of that stuff when they bolt together our Power Strokes. In my case, they did find a leaking cam follower seal, fixed under warranty. It wasn't really leaking bad at all, but I can get anal about my truck. :D

dieselit

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
where on the bellhousing?? If on the bottom usually it comes from the cam or crank sensors (on the sides of the engine in the front on the block) oil leaks backward... Or the front crank as well.. If not that.. Look and see if there is oil in the valley of the engine or on the back of the engine on top around the bellhousing... usually thats not the problem.. If all the checks out good, possible rear main, rear cover, or bedplate. good luck

Last edited:

Suprob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input. I am used to a new vehicle not leaking, I have turned retired trucks with over 300k on them and no leaks. I guess it is the heavier built truck that puts everything to task.

Rob

Suprob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Still waiting on 1000 miles to roll around. The holidays have killed the ol' work schedule. I should have it done by the end of next week. I will keep everyone posted.

Rob

jamesb18cjdm

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am having the same issue, only 2200 miles and same oil leak. I will be taking mine in within the next 2 weeks and will post what they find here.

Suprob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well we can't find the leak. The dye didn't leave a mark so they are thinking for whatever reason that I need to run another 1000 miles and then check again. I am really bummed at the thought that I am going to have a rebuilt motor at 22K. They offered to tear it apart and put the rear main on it, but I opted to see if we could just replace an o-ring or injector, if we find it. What is everyone's thoughts? Shold I try and fix the main? I am going to put it under load just for kicks this weekend and see if I can get it to leak.

Rob

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58