08 Tailgate Without The Step?

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess that some dealers order the trucks with the step and some order without them. You'd think that most dealers would want to stock trucks with the step and use it as a selling tool. If the buyer didn't want to pay the extra bucks, then the dealer could "give it" to them to make the deal. I saw another 08 today without the step - a White Lariat w/Pueblo Beige trim this time.

I like the idea of the wood splitting stump. :D :D Wonder if there are any "city boys" on the forum who don't know what a wood splitting stump is. I used one plenty of times several years ago.

irish4x4

Mayor of Margaritaville
Reaction score
While the Step in the 'gate is the idea of the century, it does have one issue that is a real pain in the butt. If your loading something on a pallet or a skid into the bed via a forklift, the mechanism that hinges the "Stripper Pole" on the inside of the tailgate sticks up higher that the rest of the 'gate and the forks scrape on that pretty hard before the pallet rests in the bed.:rant Hopefully in the next model they figure out that it needs to be recessed into the 'gate.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That might not be a big deal depending on how careful the forklift driver is. If they decide to get the pallet up just-barely-high-enough to clear the tailgate and the scrape it into the bed, then sure, the mechanism would get torn up but if they lift the forks two or three inches higher, get the pallet over the bed, then lower the load, the mechanism would stay in fine shape.

irish4x4

Mayor of Margaritaville
Reaction score
That might not be a big deal depending on how careful the forklift driver is. If they decide to get the pallet up just-barely-high-enough to clear the tailgate and the scrape it into the bed, then sure, the mechanism would get torn up but if they lift the forks two or three inches higher, get the pallet over the bed, then lower the load, the mechanism would stay in fine shape.

The contact is made when you pull out of the pallet. The fork thickness and the clearance inside the pallet are less than height of the mechanism. I sold my step 'gate and found a step-less model and had it painted again. No more problems.:clap:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
hmmm who is the registered owner :dunno

milk crates, never I have stepped through to many to trust em climbing into the truck :(

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm who is the registered owner :dunno

milk crates, never I have stepped through to many to trust em climbing into the truck :(

perhaps your stepping THRU the crates is not so much related to
the construction quality of the CRATES but more related to the
construction "size" of the person stepping on 'em...