08 Tailgate Without The Step?

DutyCalls08

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just recently ordered a new '08 F350 and left the step unchecked on the build sheet. I plan on going with a big lift anyways, so what good would the step be then? Pull ups anyone?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buy two....one for each foot & bank whats left over ;)

Last edited:

DeFord1

OU#1
Reaction score
When I purchased my new 08, it had a the fancy tailgate step. I negotiated a deal with my dealer to purchase it back form me. I own several rental properties, and therefore move several appliances throughout the year. I tried to move a refrigerator one time and damn near dropped it on the ground due to the large bump on the inside of the tailgate. If anyone plans to use the truck for it's designed purpose (WORK) I do not recommended this tailgate...... Just my .02

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
You'd think that most dealers would want to stock trucks with the step and use it as a selling tool. If the buyer didn't want to pay the extra bucks, then the dealer could "give it" to them to make the deal. I saw another 08 today without the step - a White Lariat w/Pueblo Beige trim this time.

Many would prefer NOT to have the step...like ME! I do a lot of work on my tailgate. Have you seen the '08 step-gate? It is horribly uncomfortable to sit on, and impossible to lay a piece of lumber on for a straight cut. I wouldn't want one...even a FREE one!

IMHO, the step-gate is a gadget aimed guys that have to have the latest gadgets, although, I am sure it is useful to some. I used to think the bed-extender was the coolest idea in the world, until I bought a new truck equipped with one. I soon found that it was in the way more often than it was useful....

centexkr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sure makes
it easier to get up in the bed. Guess the new 150's are going
to have the opt now. Three things were a must on the locator,
Nav, moonroof and Steps. Traded a year old F150 in and the
steps were a main reason

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The step is just like any other feature. Some like it, some don't. Some want navigation systems, dvd players, sunroofs, etc., others dont' want them. I don't get in my truck bed very often but when I do have the tailgate down, a step would be nice. Without trying to hijack my own thread, I remember in 1972, when I was working for a Ford dealer in Louisiana, we got the Mercury franchise (added Lincolns later). We had a light green Grand Marquis on the showroom floor with the dark green vinyl roof with every option available. This was when the Grand Marquis was a "boat" and more luxurious than now (my opinion). There was an elderly couple (the man was a retired men's clothing store owner) who came in an fell in love with the car, but the only problem was that it had a RADIO in it!!! We had to special order them a car exactly like that one but with NO radio. When the car came in, the transport driver thought that the factory screwed up and left out the radio, and I told him that it was ordered that way.

hillyrd

Hillyrd
Reaction score
When I bought my 08 Crew Cab my dealer was pushing towards one without the step because that was what they had. I made them go 3 hrs away to get one with the step. I am glad I did. Me and my family use the truck a lot camping and riding our four wheelers and the step is essential. Yes it is not confortable to sit on but with a 4x4 which is taller than my previous 2 wheel drive 02 the step is a welcome option.
I agree that if you are trying to use the tailgate to cut wood the "stripper Pole" would be a big issue. I like to use a workmate from B and D to do that stuff. The right tool for the job.

yukondiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh MY!!

perhaps your stepping THRU the crates is not so much related to
the construction quality of the CRATES but more related to the
construction "size" of the person stepping on 'em...

Now THAT was COLD!:innocent

There's always the "standard equipment step": Grab the side rail and step on the tire. It isn't much higher that tne tailgate step and it stays the same even if you lift the body!

Last edited:

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
I have no use for mine. The only time the step has been pulled out is when i am showing somebody that has asked about it. I am young enough that i can just jump in the bed.

The only real feature that has tickled my pickle is the back up camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58