09 F350/450 vs 2000 F650

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
If you can afford to pay 10,000 to 1 million for an RV you can afford to be properly trained to opperate it. Did you know that air brakes take atleast 1/2 second to engage that little time could be the difference between life and death. I dont want to go into it all here if you dont beleve me just pick up a copy of the CDL driver manuel from your DMV ( its free) and see for your self.

I never timed the delay but yes, i know about air brakes as far as how they work. My question should have been a little more specific, what makes a vehicle equiped with air brakes so special that you have to have a CDL? Take the F650 for example, you can get it with hyd brakes or air brakes right? So if i get it with hyd brakes i dont need a CDL but with air brakes i do? :confused: Its not just that extra half a second is it?

Let me run over to the local DMV... ill be right back.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never timed the delay but yes, i know about air brakes as far as how they work. My question should have been a little more specific, what makes a vehicle equiped with air brakes so special that you have to have a CDL? Take the F650 for example, you can get it with hyd brakes or air brakes right? So if i get it with hyd brakes i dont need a CDL but with air brakes i do? :confused: Its not just that extra half a second is it?

Let me run over to the local DMV... ill be right back.

besides the delay there the feed back from the pedal isnt like
a conventional "car".

theres a lot more PARTS (lines, air tanks, water separator,
compressor, drain valves, gauges, cold weather issues).

its my understanding that pumping the pedal is also a no no and
can lend itself to failure.

its nto that dificult a thing & honestly i wish theyd make folks have
to understand even CONVENTIONAL (hydraulic) brake systems...god
knows it couldnt hurt...but these are the same folks that dont
check their tire pressures either.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can afford to pay 10,000 to 1 million for an RV you can afford to be properly trained to opperate it. Did you know that air brakes take atleast 1/2 second to engage that little time could be the difference between life and death. I dont want to go into it all here if you dont beleve me just pick up a copy of the CDL driver manuel from your DMV ( its free) and see for your self.

and i agree if you pay that kinda money for something equip'd w/
air brakes it should be a no brainer that you take a class...but you
know theres LOTS that dont think that way.

as for the 1/2 second delay...i knew there was a delay...didnt know
how much...but i would suggest that someone remind the CDL licensed
truck drivers that...you know the ones that TAIL GATE at 70+ goin
down the interstate !

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Did you know that air brakes take at least 1/2 second to engage that little time could be the difference between life and death.

I didn't know that but I only have around 2 million miles running air brakes. I make sure the adjustment on mine are right up and I have never noticed a delay. 1/2 second delay would tell me something is malfunctioning. Trailer brakes do have a short delay as there is a quite a bit of air line to fill but tractor brakes that are properly maintained don't have a noticeable delay.

And whats the big deal about air brakes?

Other than watching the pressure - Nothing. 90% of car drivers out there have no idea how there hydraulic brakes work so I don't see where it matters if they would know how air brakes work. They would need to know that low air pressure = no brakes but other than that no big deal.

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low air preassure = locked up brakes. At around 65 psi low air warning light comes on aprox 30 psi brakes lock up:eek: . Not a good idea at 60 mph.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
The most important part of the CDL liscense test is the inspection. Drivers must know how to not only operate but check all the components. I am not saying everydriver checks all the stuff everyday, but if there is an accident involving a truck, first thing they are going to do is inspect it. You better hope that everything is within compliance or you are in deep ****. I still think that every coach ar whatever deserves to be classified for CDL. It is not for their own safety, it is for everybody else that could become victoms.

So MikeK I think you should get a F450. It will do everything you wish to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14