09 F350/450 vs 2000 F650

kbud14

I will never learn
Reaction score
Also, farm use has some exemptions for CDLs. I do not need mine, so long my truck is being used for farm use and I travel less than so many miles.

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may know about it, but you are wrong :sorry . If you are operating the vehicle commercially, you need a commercial drivers license. Since it is not a commercial use, you do not need a commercial drivers license. Since I have driven and been a distribution supervisor for the past 25 years off and on, I also have experience in the field.
Now just because that is the way the law is written does not mean that it is the way it is enforced. Think about it, how many 89 year old men could pass the CDL physical? Yet, in my neck of the woods, I see them all the time behind the wheel of a ginormous Motor home. :rant

It may not be enforced in your neck of the woods but it is the law. There are a lot of changes going on now because of those 89 year old men and people towing huge trailers with trucks that have no buisness towing anything bigger than a jetski. In the next few years you will start to see proper licencing enforced. Some states requier any thing with duel rear wheels to be registered as commercial even if thay are not and that means you have to stop a weight stations and inspections in every state. By the way my training is updated every six months to keep up with the new laws.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....In the next few years you will start to see proper licencing enforced. Some states requier any thing with duel rear wheels to be registered as commercial even if thay are not and that means you have to stop a weight stations and inspections in every state....

but the STATES arent doing that in the name of SAFETY...it really
just another means of TAXATION...they can tax you DIFFERENTLY
<and still sleep well @ night> if they label you as COMMERCIAL vs.
PRIVATE/NOT FOR HIRE !

there are plenty "commercial" truckers that are unsafe out there...
no amount of regulation will resolve that problem.

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but the STATES arent doing that in the name of SAFETY...it really
just another means of TAXATION...they can tax you DIFFERENTLY
<and still sleep well @ night> if they label you as COMMERCIAL vs.
PRIVATE/NOT FOR HIRE !

there are plenty "commercial" truckers that are unsafe out there...
no amount of regulation will resolve that problem.

I can agree with you on that. The problem is the people that buy RVs as big as a bus and have no idea of how to properly handle them. Another problem is these fly by nite " CDL driving schools" 2grand and thay will get anybody a licence. I do however beleve that proper training is a must when driving or towing something as big and heavy as an RV. Also I dont want to see some one buy some thing to big or to small for there needs and so be a danger on the roads. Finding a reputable driving school and getting the training will only make you a better driver plus having the CDL does not hurt and may help with insurance rates.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much does it cost to get a CDL? (not counting the fly-by-night places)

It differs from state to state some, but here in California, to put number to it..$1500.00. But the time you get a physical, pay the fees and do the, now required, DOT screening.. It may be a bit more. (time, fuel, rental truck not counted)

Here in Caly, you don't need a class A, or B >>CDL<< to operated a NON-Commercial RV. You are >SUPPOZED< to take and Pass a 30 question test to get an " RV Endorsement" on your license.. Class A, B or C. They don't enforce it very well. Only if you screw up. They don't screen RV drivers, on the road.

I'd like to see it as a Requirement before buying an RV over 15K GVW, at Time Of Sale. At the Dealer level, right now I think a Dealer only has to Advise you of the Law. (some where in the fine, fine print. One of those "Initial Here deals)

What ever you do? Make yourself Smart. The DMV clerks don't know. The 1-800 DMV folks just WING an answer. I'v been there, done that. Get a copy of your States Vehicle Code Book, read up in the Licensing section.. take it with you to the DMV.. Yul need it for Back-up.

Last edited:

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
IMO any vehicle with air brakes, I don't care what it is commercial, recreational, or who knows, should be required to be operated by a CDL driver. I know there are idiot CDL drivers out there, but there are far more idiots behind the wheel of passenger vehicles, and when you give them the keys to a motor coach, bad things happen. The average driver has no clue about air brakes and how they work and for that reason they should not be driving a large vehicle with out a CDL.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO any vehicle with air brakes, I don't care what it is commercial, recreational, or who knows, should be required to be operated by a CDL driver. I know there are idiot CDL drivers out there, but there are far more idiots behind the wheel of passenger vehicles, and when you give them the keys to a motor coach, bad things happen. The average driver has no clue about air brakes and how they work and for that reason they should not be driving a large vehicle with out a CDL.

the same folks managed to UNDER INFLATE their firestones and
PANIC when they got a FLAT on their SUV's...forcing a cdl on
someone wont necessarily help...it just takes more money outta
our pocket.

hell look how diluted drivers ed is these days...theres proof that you cant
TEACH folks common sense !

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It differs from state to state some, but here in California, to put number to it..$150.00. But the time you get a physical, pay the fees and do the, now required, DOT screening.. It may even be a bit more. Your time & fuel not counted.

Here in Caly, you don't need a class A, or B CDL to operated a NON-Commercial RV. You are >SUPPOZED< to have an " RV Endorsement" on your license.. but they don't enforce it very well. Only if you screw up. They don't screen RV drivers, on the road.

I'd like to see it as a Requirement before buying an RV over 15K GVW, at Time Of Sale, at the Dealer level. Right now I think a Dealer only has to Advise you of the Law. (some where in the fine, fine print. One of those "Initial Here deals)

What ever you do? Make yourself Smart. The DMV clerks don't know. The 1-800 DMV folks just WING an answer. I'v been there, done that. Get a copy of your states Vehicle Code Book, read up in the Licensing section.. take it with you to the DMV.. Yul need it for Back-up.

A very good idea:thumbs

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes remember 86% of all accidents involving a car and a cdl class truck is the fault of the car. Now put the driver of the car in a motor home and wach the carnage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14