10.9 is getting old.

muddobber

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 08 F250 I was really happy. Nice Truck, well built and excellent ride for a fairly heavy Truck. But I have never been happy with the 6.4. Milage has sucked from day one and not gotten any better in 17000 miles. Have put a new plastic thing on the front that was supposed to help with mileage, it didn't. Tried Ford's Diesel fuel conditioner, no help either with mileage. Have tried 3 times to get an updated flash like the Build 3 Trucks, not avaliable. The only thing I can think to do is just take all that garbage off from the Turbo back. Dealer says then my warranty will be no good, Why? I have always had Chevy Trucks, this is my first Ford. And I understand the Dealers hands are tied by the Government on the emissions stuff, but can't somebody come up with a program that actually gives the 6.4 some low end torque and God forbid some better mileage. We also have a Dodge with a 6.7 Cummings, it doesn't get the greatest mileage either, but it puts the 6.4 to shame in torque. And it still gets about 3 mile to gallon better than the 6.4. And how about trying to sell this thing now, who wants it. $4.55 diesel at 10.9 mph without even pulling anything sure doesn't shout buy me. Sorry for the rant but this thing is really starting to work on my mind and fuel budget. One tank won't even go 300 miles anymore. I just hope someone out there has some sort of solution that can actually help without just costing more money.:rant

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are programmers out for the 6.4L that have had good results with improved fuel mileage. Hope things get better with your new truck

FordGuy100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealers wont just reflash it just if you ask for it, you have to say something is wrong with your truck. I would recommend going in and saying that you have to really hold the brake down otherwise the truck will try to idle along, they should reflash it then. See if it gets any better fuel economy. If not, either sell the thing, or put a DPF delete and tune on it.

Or you could just slow down to 55-60mph :D

muddobber

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have had it to the Dealer 2 times and they have attached their laptop, then the bad news always comes next. Laptop says it has the latest program and there is nothing they can do. If I were to do a DPF delete, who has the best kit to do it. Really do not want to get rid of the truck now, as I would just take a beating and it is a nice truck. Just can't seem to get any mileage from it.

centexkr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
same here thinking of trading it in too. Know gonna take a hit.
So plan to just wait till the 36 Bumper to Bumper gone than move
it. Unless something comes available that up's the mileage or offers
some reason to keep at $5 or plus a gallon fuel

did have mine reflashed, did no good on up-ing the mileage any.
Additive no help either. Motor just cant get any reasonable mileage unless
stay under 60 and on extremely flat ground

Last edited:

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Not real sure why you have been advised to slow down or got a spelling lesson. At any rate, a buddy of mine has an 08 F250 6.4 and already has the DPF delete kit on it. Its maybe 3 months old. Night and day, but your dealer has to be cool with it. Sounds like he's not. Its all up to you.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man i can tell you a USED car/truck that STILL under
warranty (3/36) is gonna bring more RESALE than one thats NOT !

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

so whats your point ??? its no secret that the trucks havent been
moving off the lot...the only things moving off the dealer lots are HIGH MPG
vehicles...how big a trailer or load do you think you can haul w/ a VW or Focus ?

and i wouldnt bet w/ the price of diesel being what it is that too many VW TDI cars
will be moving off the lots <even when they are re-introduced to the USA market>

there are no claims <yet> that the new 6.7L will be any better mpg-wise...and i dont
ever remember reading that the 6.4L would get better mpg than the 6.0L

hell i had a 5.0L f150 (xtra cab, 2wd, Short bed)...i never saw more than 12mpg 'round
town and the most i was EVER able to score on the interstate was 14...i get better than
that all the way around now & ive added two more doors, 2feet more bed AND 4wd...
no one buys these things cause they get great mpg thats for sure !

the international/engine supply issues go well beyond deminishing sales numbers
<can you say accountablity & shared expense regarding warranty repairs?> !

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58