12v outlet install in pick-up bed.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A FWIW ?

Thru the years, when ever I've had a need to power up an add-on accessory(s) that has (or might have later) any run distance (?) with a load of up to 20 amps or more (?), I've used enclosed 8/3 wire cord, from the Battery area to the back bumper area. It's Fine [stranded] with Low resistance yet flexible and MUCH EASIER to run and tie off than standard automotive wire(s). Looks better than multiple wires too.

I twist the Load (black) & Neutral (white) wires together to use as +, the use the Ground (green) for the -. (Soldered crimp terminals, shrink wrap and a 40 amp Fuse/Breaker block at the Battery(s).) (My preference)

It's a One Time Install that can be used for just about any 12v needs along the run, by just tapping into it.

:dunno

Joe

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8/3 as in house wire?

Yes but its in rubber, more like 8 gauge extension cord wire ?

Commonly called S O cord, or the like ?

10/3 is also a good way to go. I just happened to have some 8/3 lay'n 'round, when I ran mine.... Might be WAY over kill with the 8/3 but :dunno

Just my think'n but the TWO 10 or 8 Gauge wires.. twisted together at the source and end, but in one enclosed cord, is the thought behind it all. (Load/Amps and Ease of install=wize)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg