13mpg with mods... is that as good as it gets??

Joelude

New Superduty Owner!
Reaction score
I have been keeping rather good tabs on my gas mileage as of late because I seem to be having a hard time eclipsing the 13 mpg mark. I am currently running a 4" Silverline Exhaust system with muffler delete, an AFE stage 2 intake and a Superchips Flashpaq set for performance. I am also running RBP diesel additive. I am starting to think something is wrong with the truck since my buddy is getting over 18 mpg (consistantly... and he drives like a bat out of hell) in his '03 7.3... any suggestions as to what the deal is? Or is this normal for a modded 6.0? And just to inform all who read... I have tested my mpg without romping on the go pedal and with... netting me a gain of roughly .4-.6 mpg when I keep my foot out of it. Thanks for reading and hope to get some insight! :)

atk

Reaction score
could be a few things....
1-what is your gear ratio?
2-are you running stock size tires?
3-possbily your exhaust back pressure valve tube may be plugged, but i am doing more research on this...it is what i have herd
4-try doing the cat delete(but save it for later when you need it), it may gain you anywhere from 1-2 mpg, it did on mine

hope this helps some

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been keeping rather good tabs on my gas mileage as of late because I seem to be having a hard time eclipsing the 13 mpg mark. I am currently running a 4" Silverline Exhaust system with muffler delete, an AFE stage 2 intake and a Superchips Flashpaq set for performance. I am also running RBP diesel additive. I am starting to think something is wrong with the truck since my buddy is getting over 18 mpg (consistantly... and he drives like a bat out of hell) in his '03 7.3... any suggestions as to what the deal is? Or is this normal for a modded 6.0? And just to inform all who read... I have tested my mpg without romping on the go pedal and with... netting me a gain of roughly .4-.6 mpg when I keep my foot out of it. Thanks for reading and hope to get some insight! :)

GAS Mileage???
Are you pulling our legs or did you mean fuel mileage?
Do you have a dually?
Most automatic 6.0 with 3.73 gears and 4x4 srw are getting around 17 mpg. Manuals get over 18 mpg.

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 6.0 is averg 14 to 16 doesnt matter how I drive.
I have auto with 3:55 gears and 285/75/16 tires 4" cat back MBRP and cat delete. Just recieved a new banks six gun. gonna try to see if this helps mine?

Joelude

New Superduty Owner!
Reaction score
Fuel mileage... use to car terminology, not diesel... sorry about that. Anyway... the truck is an '04 F-350 super crew short bed. It is not a dually. The truck has a 4" Pro Comp lift... and 35x12.5 Pro Comp tires. It has the stock gearing which I believe is a factory upgrade at 3.73.

The cat has been deleted from the exhaust as well.

My buddies truck has almost identical upgrades and he is producing the 18mpg... but his is a manual.

Thank you for the responses... they are appreciated!

atk

Reaction score
was the speedo recalibrated for the 35`s and was it done properly? another memeber had his recalibrated and they entered the wrong size tire, which resulted in poor fuel mileage....

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
13 mpg might be just about right for your modifications, if you have a heavy right foot.
It would be interesting what mpg we could get if Ford made a front air dam and a lowering kit. I would not want to raise or lower our truck, but for maximum mpg, lowering with a air dam would be interesting to see what kind of mileage we could get with our 6.0 engines. 22 plus I would think at 60 mph or less.

TNRZ4BRKFST

2003 6.0 lariat
Reaction score
i have a 03 6.0 with a 4" turbo back split to duals and cat delete all from mbrp, the only other thing i have ever used is a hypertech programmer with 3 stages, i pretty much only used stage 3 which was 100hp and like 190 or 200 ft/lbs, i would get between 16-18 driving short distances around town and avg 22-26 hghwy, i even got 32 driving from cincinnati to gatlinburg at 68mph cruised controlled and 28 back driving the same!! i run 285/75r16 bfg all terrains and it's a supercrew short bed lariat, so it's not the lightest model either... maybe something isn't right, but i don't know where u should start, maybe get a code reader, u might have issues that aren't lighting ur check engine, that happened to me when i forgot to tighten a clamp on my boost tube, and it blew loose on the highway, i couldn't drive over 30mph and i was dumping fuel bad!!!....:dunno

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58