18k mod

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just read about a 18k module for sale on a diesel website,it says it can add like 60 hp ,and 120 tq,it was like 80 bucks.cant i get like an 18k resistor from radioshack and acheive the same gains,i just wont be able to adjust it right.i thought the lower resistor the more power.so whats the deal.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
Talk to Strokin_Tasch. he did a 22k resistor. Not sure what he got as far as gains. He's up on that mod. Good luck. But no, I don't think you'll get the same results with just a 18k resistor.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could do the 10k mod that most of the folks with OBS trucks try out. Don't buy the module (waste IMHO). You have to draw a balance between resistance values as the idle will get obnoxious (rough/noisy). Cheers!

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
i'm on it!!! :D so here is what you need: 22k resistors from radioshack, wire crimpers, and a pack of male and female bullet terminals. now, cut the blue wire that goes into the ICP, then strip the ends and connect a female terminal on one of the ends and a male end on the other so you will be able to connect the two together. then take a resistor and double each end over and connect a female terminal on one end and a male on the other. then connect the resistor inline on the wire that you cut and start it up and drive it to make sure its right. some trucks are different and have the wires in different places and some even different colors from what i've noticed from people replacing the wires and stuff. on mine it was the wire closest to the front of the truck just to clarify.

this mod is a way of getting more power potential out of the 10k mod. it's probably better to keep it around a 14.7 or 15.6k resistor, but i ran mine with a 22k inline and a 5.6k jammed in the plug for awhile before running into IPR issues. i didn't run into IPR problems until i put a programmer on it with a 22k inline and a 5.6k in the plug. that was my mistake. oh yeah and one more thing. doing the 10k mod this way produces a lot less rough idle than doing the mod the old way. i rarely got a rough idle with mine with the 22k resistor. with this method the higher the resistor value the higher the power output. the old way the lower the resister value yields more power.

i have some videos of my truck with the 22k on my webshots that i will post up. If you have anymore questions let me know. i hope this helps some!!!:cool:

pics and videos here----> the new stacks!!!! pictures, photos, and videos, from rides on webshots

Last edited:

ono_55

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It is a dfuser 18k mod he sells it on ebay for i think 49.99. I have one on my truck it really woke it up hell for 50.00 can't bet it. My sons freinds dad has the same truck as mine with out the 18k mod i can walk all over him with no problem. But don't forget gauges at lest EGT.

Last edited:

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made an "adjustable" mod for this....I ran the two wires for the mod into the cab, and put a jack used for networking computers on the end. Then, I made up several plugs that I could put in with the different resistor values. I could switch from stock (no plug), to a plug with any different resistor value by inserting a different plug. On the fly. Worked pretty well, although a potentiometer would be much better.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14